Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Officers bag/holdall markings identification

Article about: My request is a bit different but still wanting to find out some info on these Red markings/badging on this officers bag/holdall. Has anyone come across such markings? (see images) I got the

Default Officers bag/holdall markings identification

My request is a bit different but still wanting to find out some info on these Red markings/badging on this officers bag/holdall.

Has anyone come across such markings? (see images)

I got the bag with some other WW2 genuine officers kit and would like to know some more about it.
    It is 'all' leather as you can see and has a total of 7 pocket/flaps inside.

The 'Red' logo/badge is printed at both ends deep in the bag.

Thanks for any help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Officers bag/holdall markings identification   Officers bag/holdall markings identification  

Officers bag/holdall markings identification   Officers bag/holdall markings identification  

Officers bag/holdall markings identification   Officers bag/holdall markings identification  

Officers bag/holdall markings identification  

?

That’s an impressive piece of kit.
    I would imagine it is Indian-made - it has that look about it - and the leather itself is of the style (maybe goat or pigskin).
    The red ink stamps appear to be manufacturer’s marks, probably stamped on the cloth bolt, prior to being used in the assembly. I’m afraid I cannot make any name out of it.

Thankyou for responding Kohima - it could make sense re the Indian connection as part of the officers kit I got included a Roorkhee chair. The top red marking seems to read 'DAY' which doesn't seem Indian to me though? which throws a spanner in the works really to that. There is some writing/marks above the 'DAY' but it is on the seam so tricky to make out what it says?

Strictly speaking the hold-all is marked to Company Sargeant Major Davidson. Might be worth showing a close up of the zipper tab as this might give a clue to the manufacturer.

The zip is a solid brass YKK, that's the only markings on the zip. I never thought that the C.S.M might mean Company Sergeant Major? - I see how you can make it fit the letters but there's no actual evidence that, that is the case - I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the chaps Christian names 'could' have been Charles Stanley Michael ??? - (you get the idea) - guess we will never know.

Its the history I like to try and get behind these things - where its been, who and when did they have it etc.