Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rare 1945 dated RAF / Air Ministry enamel mug

Article about: I bought this mug, along with two others for £15, as it was dated 1945. British enamel mugs are quite a scarce bit of kit, I guess due to the fact that they could be easily damaged, as this

Default Rare 1945 dated RAF / Air Ministry enamel mug

I bought this mug, along with two others for £15, as it was dated 1945. British enamel mugs are quite a scarce bit of kit, I guess due to the fact that they could be easily damaged, as this mug is. I noticed that it had a code beneath the date which looked like an Air Ministry code and on checking I found that “21” is the code for “barrack equipment” and “21C” is the code for “metalware”.
    I can’t find any other information on RAF / Air Ministry enamel mugs so can only assume that it is quite a rare item
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare 1945 dated RAF / Air Ministry enamel mug   Rare 1945 dated RAF / Air Ministry enamel mug  

Rare 1945 dated RAF / Air Ministry enamel mug   Rare 1945 dated RAF / Air Ministry enamel mug  

I believe that the other two mugs are also from WW2.
    This one has the faintest of faint stamps, however, I think it is of Indian manufacture and possibly dated 1941, however, I can’t really work out the last digit
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare 1945 dated RAF / Air Ministry enamel mug   Rare 1945 dated RAF / Air Ministry enamel mug  

Rare 1945 dated RAF / Air Ministry enamel mug   Rare 1945 dated RAF / Air Ministry enamel mug  

The third is undated, however, according to Karkees thread - Enamel Mugs of the British Empire - I think this one fits with his comment As a general rule, the wartime mugs are a darker shade of brown and have the aforementioned three dots discussed above. a general rule, the wartime mugs are a darker shade of brown and have the aforementioned three dots discussed above.

?

Very nice finds Grimebox. Here are my Aussie versions.