Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sharpes Footlocker

Article about: Hi Guys A friend of mine sent me pics of an old wooden box he used to keep paint in....with an interesting name on it. Cant work out if its the Leinsters or Leicester regiments, and would li

Reg
    ?

Default Sharpes Footlocker

Hi Guys

A friend of mine sent me pics of an old wooden box he used to keep paint in....with an interesting name on it. Cant work out if its the Leinsters or Leicester regiments, and would like to canvass your esteemed opinions as to if it is Great war or ww2 (or otherwise)

Cheers
    Reg

P.S Hes thinking of selling it if anyones interested.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sharpes Footlocker   Sharpes Footlocker  

Default Re: Sharpes Footlocker

Hi Reg, I would tend to think it will be a footlocker for a member of the Leicestershire Regt. My reasoning being this is that there really would have been enough room to paint the full name of the Regt if it were for the Leinster's. But to paint in the full name of the Leicestershire Regt, well that would not fit.

I would tend to think it will be WW1 in date, as the 4th Battl was converted to the RA pre WW2, if indeed it was the Leicesters.

Cheers, Ade.

Reg
    ?

Default Re: Sharpes Footlocker

Thanks Ade

Good point! didd'nt think of that Doh . Leicester Regt would fit in geographicaly too! Wonder if Bernie Cornwell could fit it into a spawn of Sharpie sieries?

Thanks again
    Reg

Default Scots Guards footlocker

Reg, this footlocker has similar elements. My neighbour had this out for the trash about 18 years ago. Not sure about any date, however that it is here in Canada surprises me as I didn't think the Scots Guards spent much time here after 1862. A mystery. It belonged to a Cpl George Davis. The initials GHD are painted over Cpl G.H. Davis and below is written Scots Guards in a nice Victorian script. Any thoughts would be appreciated.Sharpes FootlockerSharpes FootlockerSharpes Footlocker

?

The repaint could make sense if he left the Scots Guards, keeping the trunk, maybe for emigration to Canada?

Oz.