Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown British P37 double press stud holster

Article about: Hello! I've recently found quite an interesting variation of P37(?) holster and I'm looking for more information about it's purpose and rarity. The difference here from other holsters I've s

Post Unknown British P37 double press stud holster

Hello!

I've recently found quite an interesting variation of P37(?) holster and I'm looking for more information about it's purpose and rarity. The difference here from other holsters I've seen is that this one is closed with two press studs instead of one. When i first received it i visited Karkeeweb, but even they didn't have information about it.

Here is what they write:
    "Stores Ref. (unknown) Case, pistol, automatic, W.E. Patt. ’37

Another design has been noted, nomenclature and stores code unknown. This is similar to Patt. 37, but is closed with two press studs. Since the flap is square to the body, it is assumed to contain an automatic pistol. It is shown suspended from a Patt. ’37 Pistol ammunition pocket, so the rear of the Holster must be fitted up as Patt. ’37. This detail has been noted in a painting made from a photograph of a Free French Commando. KW would welcome details of the original photo or, better yet, an actual example!"

I've attached a few images of the holster itself and the painting referenced above

Please let me know if anyone has information about this piece!

Thanks!
    Eskil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown British P37 double press stud holster   Unknown British P37 double press stud holster  

Unknown British P37 double press stud holster   Unknown British P37 double press stud holster  

Unknown British P37 double press stud holster   Unknown British P37 double press stud holster  

Attached Images Attached Images Unknown British P37 double press stud holster 

Interesting variant, presumably for the M1911 pistol, which was used by certain units in British and Commonwealth forces.

Commando issue for M1911 Pistol (possibly also Para issue)