Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

US Army Field Pack

Article about: I recently bought this bag and belt without doing much of any research into them; I got it for a fair price so either way I figured I couldn't go wrong to pick it up I see no tags or stamps

Default US Army Field Pack

I recently bought this bag and belt without doing much of any research into them; I got it for a fair price so either way I figured I couldn't go wrong to pick it up I see no tags or stamps anywhere in the bag besides the stamping "Ho Co 6HG117?" inside the bag. It looks WW2 Period to me but I'm not quite sure to be honest. Without any other markings is there any way to get a rough estimate of when this would've been in use? Thanks!

US Army Field PackUS Army Field PackUS Army Field PackUS Army Field PackUS Army Field Pack

Late war version of the M1936 US Musette bag.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Late war version of the M1936 US Musette bag.
    Thanks! Any idea what the stamping on the inside indicates?

Markings on the inside look like it belonged to a Soldier who put his Army Serial number in it to mark it. I also see what appears to be "HQ" for Headquarters.. Perhaps a member of Headquarters Company of a particular unit. This could have been used for a number of things. Carrying personal items, documents, ammo, unlimited possibilities..

What is interesting about this particular field bag are the 2 eyelets that are on the center of the flap below the US marking. An entrenching tool, or bayonet or some other accoutrement could have been hung on these eyelets. The extended straps could be attached to the combat suspenders and this could have been worn on the back, much like a backpack. On the M1944 combat field pack upper portion you will see similar eyelets that were used for attaching the shovel or entrenching tool.. The m1944 combat field pack was actually inspired by the Marine Corps 1941 pack...

Nice find..

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Markings on the inside look like it belonged to a Soldier who put his Army Serial number in it to mark it. I also see what appears to be "HQ" for Headquarters.. Perhaps a member of Headquarters Company of a particular unit. This could have been used for a number of things. Carrying personal items, documents, ammo, unlimited possibilities..

What is interesting about this particular field bag are the 2 eyelets that are on the center of the flap below the US marking. An entrenching tool, or bayonet or some other accoutrement could have been hung on these eyelets. The extended straps could be attached to the combat suspenders and this could have been worn on the back, much like a backpack. On the M1944 combat field pack upper portion you will see similar eyelets that were used for attaching the shovel or entrenching tool.. The m1944 combat field pack was actually inspired by the Marine Corps 1941 pack...

Nice find..

Smitty
    Thanks for the info! I'll have to check this one out in some more detail, I'm definitely glad I was able to pick it up