Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

USGI Z.L.& T. Ltd Canvas BAR Ammo Belt

Article about: Hello, I recently bought this USGI Canvas BAR Ammo Belt. I have been searching in the inet but I could not find a similar ammo belt for Browning Authomatic Rifle ammos made by the Canadian Z

This, to my untrained eye looks like a post war produced Belgian belt, that someone is passing off as USGI by adding US stamps and a canadian makers mark. Fix lift the dot fasteners were used on all sorts of Belgian post war produced web gear. (in fact I have seen no other make used)

Part of the integral shoulder belts look to have been romoved to disguise their Belgian origin but the buckles that the shoulder straps go to are still there. (why is this if this is not a messed around Belgian belt?)

These belts were used with Heavy Barelled FN FAL (FALO) whose 20 round magazine was similar size to a BAR magazine.

Photo shows Belgian trooper with similar belt and carrying heavy barelled FAL (or FALO)

Here are some photos of two of my Belgian FAL belts and you will see why I believe this item is a faked USGI belt that was originally a Post war Belgian belt (1950's)
    4 pocket version and 5 pocket version shown Belgians also had a six pocket belt but I cannot right now find photos of such a belt.

I suggest the writing on the FIX fastener is French, because French is one of Belgium's official languages.

I have my own views as to the origins and originality of this belt. If it is genuinely Canadian WW2 manufacture for USGI, then I accept that my doubts may be unfounded, but it just looks too much like the 50's Belgian Version for it not to be one, I suggest.

Another example of Belgian belt

Hard to read stamp? Possibly ABL 1956?
    Identical FIX fasteners on this one. Comments?
    Last edited by antarmike; 06-23-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Quote by CampX View Post
    The larger of the 2 Z L & T plants was in Guelph Ontario. I have never seen anything made by them for the US, so it must be rare!

Dean O
    Ajax Canada
    Rare or faked?

I too see the unusual shoulder strap connector, these would in no way connect to the 36 suspenders!

Quote by antarmike View Post
    Rare or faked?
    Certainly faked stamps, the ZL&T Ltd font style incorrect and would look somewhat like these! Two different examples shown. First time I see this thread also!!

I think you guys nailed it.

Not seen this tread either, mores the pity. Indeed French manufactured and later ruined by fake US markings. A pity as these are coming collectable in their own right to many interested in the French actions in Algeria, Indochina in the 1950's etc.

Not French but Belgian I think?

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Not French but Belgian I think?
    Belgium with out a doubt, my guess is somewhere mid fifties.

A deliberate attempt to deceive. I can imagina a re-enactor putting US stamp on an item as a way of producing a cheap Bar belt look alike for re-enactment purposes, but a re-enactor would not add a fake makers mark.

This in my mind is a deliberate attempt by someone to create an Ultra rare ( becuse it never existed in real life) item to sell on for profit.

Just a bit surprised it has taken six years for someone to spot such an obvious Belgian belt. The "FIX" Lift the dot fasteners scream ABL/ Armee Belge/ Belgisch Leger.

Mike (by the way I only really collect Belgian Items to support my Cold War Belgian Army display I take around shows. so I probably had a head start on this one)
    Last edited by antarmike; 06-26-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Give it time, the truth usually emerges. I suspect the faker when faced with fasteners with French writing thought a Canadian connection was a cunning solution. I wonder if he has ruined other Belgium webbing?

I have one of these somewhere too, I bought it as a starting collector thinking it was a BAR belt although it wasn't sold to me like that, and it was very cheap (as in affordable on a €5 weekly allowance).... Good old times

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast