Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is it ? Medical, radio, mechanical very small box

Article about: Hello, I collect only the Free Polish Forces, and the basic British material, and I would need your help to identify this (very) small box. What can you say about this small metal box, with

Default What is it ? Medical, radio, mechanical very small box

Hello,
    I collect only the Free Polish Forces, and the basic British material, and I would need your help to identify this (very) small box.

What can you say about this small metal box, with the arrow of the Broad Arrow, marked MALLEIN twice (cover and face under the small fitting), and MAW LONDON on the cover downwards.
    It is divided into 6 small accommodation.
    Here: 13 cm (length) x 9 cm (width) x 3 cm (height)

What is it ? Medical, radio, mechanical very small boxWhat is it ? Medical, radio, mechanical very small boxWhat is it ? Medical, radio, mechanical very small box

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
    Best regards.
    Ze-Pole

- - ------- - -

Again,
    I hope that I wrote the post on the good gallery...
    ZP
    Last edited by ze-pole; 12-20-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Hello again,
    Nobody can help me ?
    Best regards.
    ZP

Hello,
    Do I have to think that it's one of the greatest puzzles ever offered here ?
    If yes, at least, even if nobody find the solution, I would have been happy to propose a mistery...
    ZP

It could have been used for literally anything. Without any markings relating specifically to the contents, it will be difficult to tell. Given its small size and the cardboard lining, I'd say it was likely used for glass bottles of some kind, though that's only a guess on my part.

Hopefully someone else can provide the definitive answers you're looking for.

Regards, B.B.

Hello,
    Thank you for this first message and idea.
    ZP

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    It could have been used for literally anything. Without any markings relating specifically to the contents, it will be difficult to tell. Given its small size and the cardboard lining, I'd say it was likely used for glass bottles of some kind, though that's only a guess on my part.

Hopefully someone else can provide the definitive answers you're looking for.

Regards, B.B.
    I am going to say that this is a First Aid box "First Aid Kit Armoured Fighting Vehicle". They were meant originally for 'A' (armoured) vehicles but were also issued for 'B' (wheeled) vehicles. Mostly they did not have seperate compartments but some were made with a single small compartment and others were like this.

In several units I served with in the '70s - '90s we had this type, those without partitions and later more modern thinner types of pressed rather than folded construction like biscuit/chocolate tins. All were in service at overlapping times. The heavier types were from the '60s and before, maybe WWII but they were not dated.

Something like these tins would not be disposed of even when newer types were issued but they would have contents replaced when used or changed when time expired or superceeded. All the contents could be ordered ("Demanded" in British stores parlance) seperately from the supply chain or in some locations from local Medical Corps units.

The only time the boxes would be replaced was when they became unserviceable (unless the contents changed so much that the older box was no longer suitable) at which time they would be scrapped locally.

As I recall, the earliest had no markings at all, later ones had white lettering "FIRST AID KIT ARMOURED FIGHTING VEHICLES" and later still a part number and Red Cross symbol.

Of course the boxes with compartments might have had a different original purpose but were issued "in lieu" (this is not unusual in a military supply system) but I doubt if even the unit Quartemaster would have really noticed this even it it was marked on the issue documentation. If he did he would not have cared as it doesn't make much difference. Also, any soldier would instantly perceive this black metal box as a First Aid kit, not something you would want to confuse with a radio related spare parts box at a moment of crisis in either case

As for the marking MAW LONDON, Simon Maw of London was a maker of medical equipment and instruments which would all have been in the same section of the stores catalogue..

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Mark
    PS I did have one exactly like yours in my Landrover which was painted red and used to hold spare lightbulbs, fuses, insulation tape etc.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-28-2020 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hello,
    Thank tou for this new answer and all the time you spent to write.
    THANK YOU.
    For a "First Aid Kit Armoured Fighting Vehicle", I have in my collection but this box is here really smaller.
    Interesting your mention : " As for the marking MAW LONDON, Simon Maw of London was a maker of medical equipment and instruments which would all have been in the same section of the stroes catalogue".
    Best regards.
    ZP

As an aside; we always carried more Field Dressings than would fit in the tin box so we also would have one of these per vehicle stuffed with all kinds or dressings and bandages;

What is it ? Medical, radio, mechanical very small box

Yes it is '37 patt but I daresay you will find the odd one in unit stores even today as there is no real evuivalent in current gear.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

D'Oh! I didn't read the dimensions!!

In that case the answer is simple I think.

It is for the Medical Officers surgical instruments, scalpels, listons,forceps etc.

All other detail in my post is still relevant

Regards

Mark

Hello,
    Thank you again.
    If somebody has a picture of this box during the War ?
    Cheers.
    ZP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast