Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British MT Goggles

Article about: I don’t actually know the correct designation for these, I believe that they are MT (Motor Transport) goggles but I’m willing to be corrected. There are various images showing them in we

Default WW2 British MT Goggles

I don’t actually know the correct designation for these, I believe that they are MT (Motor Transport) goggles but I’m willing to be corrected. There are various images showing them in wear from armoured vehicle crews to infantry soldiers.
    I have the clear lens and yellow lens versions. The yellow tinted goggles actually make everything look very bright.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British MT Goggles   WW2 British MT Goggles  

WW2 British MT Goggles   WW2 British MT Goggles  

?

Hi Grime Box, Nice pair of British Army MT/General Purpose goggles. I used to have an image of a bulk carton for these, which had the designation etc on it, but cant find it now! But was dated 1943.

Late 1930s to mid-WWII the British army used a grey version of the Post-WWI (solid frame) comma shaped Triplex Feather Weight goggles. About 1942 they started to produce these, probably because they were cheaper. They were a re-hash of the 1915-1930 Triplex 2x21/4" round goggles, see image below.

Unfortunately people have started to use these as a basis to fake WWI goggles and goggle masks. If, on purported WWI goggles there is a linking-piece or evidence that it had one and the frame are squarish mild steel then they are these 1942-1945 items. Fakes using these have started to creep into text books!

All the Best

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British MT Goggles