Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 US issue webbing - seems to be in short supply here?

Article about: HI all - well, the title is to get you all started. This could fit in the Gold members area I guess, but looking through this sub forum I found few threads or posts. Not that ( of course ) i

Default WW2 US issue webbing - seems to be in short supply here?

HI all - well, the title is to get you all started. This could fit in the Gold members area I guess, but looking through this sub forum I found few threads or posts on the subject. Not that ( of course ) it is in short supply out in the world, it just seems to get short shrift here on the Allied section of the WRF.

I think for a couple of reasons - it was worn by the goodies, not the baddies and, being the winners, all the surplus that wasn't used in the next conflict all went into the disposals market and seems to be somewhat dismissed as ....meh!!

After 15 years collecting primarily German, I am getting into OD ( not overdoses, but Olive Drab ) as it can still be found ( 1942-45 dated of course ) for a fraction of the equivalent German stuff.

So, as I have already found some items and intend to do a thread which ( if deemed worth it ) may become 'stuck' on 'US WW2 webbing & kit' I wondered what the members thoughts might be? Not a piecemeal 'bit of this and bit of that' but whole webbing sets? ..... belt, suspenders, pouches, canteens, mess kits etc... any interest in seeing that?

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I think it’s a good idea, admittedly I am pretty specific to the German field equipment but I would love to see some more of the US stuff. Especially those full webbing sets, would be nice to see what people have got and to try and expand my knowledge in the area.

-Bodhi

Greetings Dan,

I concur with your assessment, not much Allied Kit has been shared/posted as compared to Axis Kit on our forum; I believe it has more to do with the reality that there are more developed (in that area) forums hosting that content extant than with any fastidious lack of interest here. Such as the usmilitariaforum.com. A lot of the folks who visit and share there simply don't here (IMHO it's their loss).

That all said, I'd enjoy viewing more Allied Kit here too. Though, I really enjoy that we steer away from discussing prices/values here, I wish that was the case in the mentioned US forum. They are becoming over run with the "What's it worth?" and "Tell me what I have now!" one post and done crowd.

OK, I'm off my soap box....I enjoyed your post.

Best,

V/r Lance

I also agree. It seems the vast majority of posts are for German stuff around here (not bad cause I’m a novice to the intricacies of the TR stuff and have learned a lot) and not much with allied especially US stuff, unless it’s it’s a uniform and people are looking for what all the patches pin and ribbons mean. Everything else is few and far between.

All good and valid points by well-respected members.

As it has been mentioned there are some forums out there that specifically focus on US militaria and all the subcategories of those collecting fields but with that said, I fully agree and support the idea of having a topic that focuses on US web-gear from all eras, and I look forward to seeing what others may have..

Best regards to all and stay safe

Smitty

Thanks everyone for your words of support. Ok, I'm just waiting for a few purchases to arrive which I'll photograph and then start a fresh thread.
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "