Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

WW2 US Webbing - post your examples

Article about: Hello all, As I mentioned, I thought it might be nice to have a 'ONE STOP AREA' we could show the development and array of webbing the US issued to their troops during their involvement in W

Thanks for that. Many stocks must have been scratched up in the process by the snap, but it was war after all. I don't have a Garand clip to try, but it must be a tight squeeze to fit compared with the 15 round carbine mag?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Pushing ever forward, we come to the M1936 field bag, commonly called the Musette ( from the French for haversack ).
    These were initially issued to paratroops and officers that did not need the larger M1928 haversack, but as that fell out of favour with the men, many preferred the smaller size bag for their essentials "in the field".

My first example is a well worn OD#3 version that has an equally faded 1944 stamp below two lots of 4 digit numbers., probably the last four of the ASN of two men that owned it ( which was commonplace to do )

WW2 US Webbing - post your examples WW2 US Webbing - post your examples WW2 US Webbing - post your examples

My second is a 1945 'second pattern M1936' which apart from the later OD#7 green shade of material, has a tab with eyelets added to the front flap to attach the intrenching tool ( from off the belt )

WW2 US Webbing - post your examples WW2 US Webbing - post your examples WW2 US Webbing - post your examples
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Default Waterbury Buckle Co webbing belt

While cleaning out the my garage I turned up a couple of 90 inch long (1.5" wide) canvas webbing belts my grandfather gave to me along with most of his stuff he brought back from the Pacific War. I noticed today they had a maker's mark; "Waterbury Buckle Co", and now know they are Connecticut made by an old company (1853) that closed it's doors in 2013. At 90 inch they are probably a belt strap for luggage (rather than a trousers belt for the fuller figure GI), but be interested in any thoughts on main use. Now they can make a nice addition piece for a display.

WW2 US Webbing - post your examplesWW2 US Webbing - post your examplesWW2 US Webbing - post your examplesWW2 US Webbing - post your examples
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 US Webbing - post your examples  

?

Nice stuff. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    While cleaning out the my garage I turned up a couple of 90 inch long (1.5" wide) canvas webbing belts my grandfather gave to me along with most of his stuff he brought back from the Pacific War. I noticed today they had a maker's mark; "Waterbury Buckle Co", and now know they are Connecticut made by an old company (1853) that closed it's doors in 2013. At 90 inch they are probably a belt strap for luggage (rather than a trousers belt for the fuller figure GI), but be interested in any thoughts on main use. Now they can make a nice addition piece for a display.

WW2 US Webbing - post your examplesWW2 US Webbing - post your examplesWW2 US Webbing - post your examplesWW2 US Webbing - post your examples
    They could be litter straps, or vehicle related?

The 90 inch straps look very similar to the straps the go around the m1935 officers bed roll. Not sure if they were that long but when I get home I give mine a measure and see.

I didn't see this thread when it was started. Perhaps because this is outside my main area of collecting (naturally as a true magpie type of collector I do have the mandatory canteen et al!) but I think it is exactly the type of research resource we should promote here. Great idea, keep it up

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Anderson View Post

So I’ve just measured the straps on my bedding roll and they are 1 1/2” wide by 93” long. The buckles are exactly the same but mine are unmarked from what I see. So you have two of the three straps for a bedding roll!

Well thank you Sir. That makes a lot of sense and was probably used for just that, the bedding roll. NZ Forces in the Pacific had a lot of interaction with the US Forces and all sorts of items of kit were acquired.

Default Ammo pouch, M1911, but what era?

Looks to be a post WW2 twin mag pouch for a M1911, can anyone narrow down the likely decade it was made? Many thanks.

WW2 US Webbing - post your examplesWW2 US Webbing - post your examplesWW2 US Webbing - post your examples

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast