Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 USMC Gear Questions?????

Article about: Hi all, i am starting to get a WW2 USMC display together, however i am have some questions regarding the webbing worn by marines. Was the webbing used by the marines stamped USMC or did they

Default WW2 USMC Gear Questions?????

Hi all, i am starting to get a WW2 USMC display together, however i am have some questions regarding the webbing worn by marines. Was the webbing used by the marines stamped USMC or did they use standard manufacture stamped & dated gear? also did they use the M1942 canteen cover used by the army or just the marine pattern ones?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Cheers
    Harry

NCA
    ?

As far as I know they only used USMC marked gear...some of their equipment is Depot made as well rather than made by say 'BOYT' for instance.
    They also had various canteen covers specific to the USMC too...The cross over flaps type is a later version.Some of the stuff they used is the same as the army..it just has usmc stamped instead of us and some stuff was different like first aid kit pouches and canteen covers ect...

Harry if your display is purely based on visual then get a dog ear cover then there's no mistaking it for an Infantry type,more expensive,will it be easy to find an M41 backpack?must be rarer than the Doughboy version,good luck and can't wait for the end result...........

Thanks for the comments, i agree the m41 pack and suspenders do seem to be the hardest items to acquire, i recently got an m1 helmet swivel bale front seem, westinghouse liner, heat stamps dates it to late 1943, in a lot of items, which came with some u.s. webbing, a garand belt, jungle first aid kit etc. just wanted to know if they would be accurate for the uniform as none of them are USMC stamped.

cheers
    Harry

Well im no expert on this Harry but from what I can remember the USMC had everything differant 1910-until the start of WW2, towards the end there gear looked almost like Infantry anyway and by the early 50's there was hardly any if nothing at all to distinquish between marine and reg army,did they wear standard leggings?or were they too differant..............

The USMC leggings i know were different to army as they were from navy stores and had a navy contact nxsx code.

I would reccomend the Alec S. Tulkoff book "Grunt Gear: USMC Combat Infantry Equipment of World War II" - an elementary position for any USMC gear collector. If you want to posses "all in one" compendium, it is the best publication! Contains many tips for collectors as well. Worth of the money paid for it.

Thanks, i will have a look out for it.