Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Freedom is the goal, Victory is our banner, Führer command, We will follow you Poster

Article about: Hey guys. This poster is 23.5x33 (60cm x 84cm) and in really bad shape. Very brittle and falling apart. I paid \\$500 for it. Do you think it's worth paying someone to preserve it? It has a ma

Default Freedom is the goal, Victory is our banner, Führer command, We will follow you Poster

Hey guys. This poster is 23.5x33 (60cm x 84cm) and in really bad shape. Very brittle and falling apart. I paid $500 for it.

Do you think it's worth paying someone to preserve it? It has a manufacturer's label on the back that shouldn't be covered so not sure if that would be a problem with a preservation process.

If you think it's worth preserving, does anyone know a reasonably priced poster person who could restore this as much as possible? Maybe at least to prevent further deterioration. Or maybe it's so far gone it's not worth putting money into?

Thanks for any insights and/or recommendations. Jim

Freedom is the goal, Victory is our banner, Führer command, We will follow you PosterFreedom is the goal, Victory is our banner, Führer command, We will follow you Poster

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Freedom is the goal, Victory is our banner, Führer command, We will follow you Poster
    P
    Many

?

Why don't you just have it framed in glass and hang it out of the sunlight? That will keep it well.

Quote by jim10011 View Post
    Hey guys. This poster is 23.5x33 (60cm x 84cm) and in really bad shape. Very brittle and falling apart. I paid $500 for it.

Do you think it's worth paying someone to preserve it? It has a manufacturer's label on the back that shouldn't be covered so not sure if that would be a problem with a preservation process.

If you think it's worth preserving, does anyone know a reasonably priced poster person who could restore this as much as possible? Maybe at least to prevent further deterioration. Or maybe it's so far gone it's not worth putting money into?

Thanks for any insights and/or recommendations. Jim
    Well Jim,
    I don't know much at all about paper ephemera like this but if it was worth paying that price then it must be worth at least exploring the options for conservation.

I would suggest you do some research on the subject of conservation and seek the advice of a qualified conservator. If you ask the right way (eg "I would like advice on whether it is viable, what is required" etc) that shouldn't cost anything.

There are plenty of materials for conservation on the market and I have used things like archivists tape (that is clear and can be removed) which are not that expensive but not on anything valued at three figures.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Since posting this I emailed a few places and I was surprised to find out I could get this linen backed and restored for around $350. Problem is, to do that they said the manufacturer's label on the back would have to be removed. Not sure what to do as I think the label should stay.

Oh, and I can't just frame it as-is because the paper is extremely brittle and falls apart when handled. When I first got it I wanted to open it to look at it and though I was very careful it fell apart even more. I think the next person to handle it should be an expert to avoid further damage. Jim

Better move this from the Soviet section to the German section of the forum.

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Better move this from the Soviet section to the German section of the forum.
    Good point, because I tend to view all the forum areas I didn't even notice but being in the wrong section can mean that a thread is just not seen by the very people it should be seen by if they have chosen to include only a particular area of the forum in their preference settings.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-04-2021 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."