Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Who or what "regiment" is this?

Article about: One of the photos depicting Russian soldiers/citizen-soldiers, in my family trove. Taken - or at least scribed - in 1920(?). Although my Imperial Cavalry grandfather had left Russia to buy a

?

Default Who or what "regiment" is this?

One of the photos depicting Russian soldiers/citizen-soldiers, in my family trove. Taken - or at least scribed - in 1920(?). Although my Imperial Cavalry grandfather had left Russia to buy arms in the US, in 1916, as far as we know never went back again...so I don't know his connection to these folks.

Anyone know what affiliation these "soldiers" might have? I hesitate to ascribe them to any cohesive unit, given the timeframe (early Bolshevik [post-Kolchak]/Soviet).

Bonus points for translating the caption (my translation app can't read it).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who or what "regiment" is this?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Who or what "regiment" is this?
    P
    Many

?

The red fabric strip, sewn across the front of the papakha caps (worn at right), indicate affiliation to the Bolshevik army. One of the earliest ‘uniform’ items of what would become the Red Army!
    Interestingly, most of the rest still appear to wear the Romanov cockade. Perhaps those on the right are prisoners, though they don’t appear too concerned (despite the glares from some of the White officers and men)!
    An amazing, early photograph.. I’m still struggling with the translation, as I don’t even know what language it is yet!

Is it Estonian or Lithuanian perhaps?

?

Thanks very much for the insight on the caps. I just figured the chaps on the left were looking off to the middle distance - but they could in fact be throwing shade at the guys on the right.
    My tinkering with google translate gave me (potentially):
    "Se" = it (Finnish)
    "puraste" = extraction (Finnish)
    "Revideerimas" = reviewing (Estonian) The only possible connection here is my Estonian grandmother (who, in 1917 married the dashing Russian cavalry officer shown in my photos over in the Imperial Russian thread); she still had kin and friends back in Estonia at this time. I have a few of her letters (untranslated) from this period. To be explored further...
    The rest is not recognized, and even inputting into the usually-helpful *Stephen Morse* conversion tool...is not helpful.