Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1942 Occupied Vichy France Banque De France Dix Francs Banknote VIVE LA FRANCE LIBERATION CROSS

Article about: I found this banknote amongst the personal belongings of a US Army Air Forces veteran who served with the USAAF Eighth Air Force, 379th Bombardment Wing, 524th Bombardment Squadron during th

Default 1942 Occupied Vichy France Banque De France Dix Francs Banknote VIVE LA FRANCE LIBERATION CROSS

I found this banknote amongst the personal belongings of a US Army Air Forces veteran who served with the USAAF Eighth Air Force, 379th Bombardment Wing, 524th Bombardment Squadron during the final stages of World War 2. The 379th Bombardment Wing had one of the most successful combat records of the War with the 524th Bombardment Squadron flying it's last combat mission on April 25, 1945. This serviceman brought home many wonderful souvenirs from his time overseas and in particular he collected banknotes from all the countries he visited.

This banknote is particularly interesting as it is rebelliously marked on it's reverse with the "Liberation Cross," a combination of the Victory "V" and the Cross Of Lorraine. Above the cross is written in ink: "vive la France." As this note was tucked away in this serviceman's Wartime mementos, I firmly believe it is an original period piece.

I decided to post this note today in celebration of "VE" Victory In Europe Day as well as the fast-approaching 80th anniversary of the grand invasion of "Fortress Europe." Small items like this help us better understand the indomitable "spirit of the day" and this tattered piece of paper still teems with the energy of that long, hot summer of '44. May the memories, stories and the GLORY of ALL who were engaged during that perilous time live on forever; their sacrifices were NOT in vain and will NEVER be forgotten!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1942 Occupied Vichy France Banque De France Dix Francs Banknote VIVE LA FRANCE LIBERATION CROSS   1942 Occupied Vichy France Banque De France Dix Francs Banknote VIVE LA FRANCE LIBERATION CROSS  

1942 Occupied Vichy France Banque De France Dix Francs Banknote VIVE LA FRANCE LIBERATION CROSS   1942 Occupied Vichy France Banque De France Dix Francs Banknote VIVE LA FRANCE LIBERATION CROSS