Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread

Article about: Hello All As an aside to the Escape and Evasion part of my collection (http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/airbor...90/?highlight=) I have picked up a few Prisoner of War related items over the ye

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    This is a really interesting thread.

As a 13-14 year old kid, I made money doing yard work for one of our neighbors.
    He was a nice man who would invite me into his house for a cold Root Beer after
    I had finished my work and ask about how I was doing in school or what my plans
    were. Just a nice man who was very quite but seemed just a bit "off".

Some years later, I mentioned him to boss at work and he told me that my neighbor
    had served in "Army Intelligence" during the war and had been captured and tortured
    by the Gestapo. I wish that I taken the time to learn more about him.
    My school care taker between the ages of 7 - 11 was an ex-P.o.W. He gave a talk about his WW2 experiences. All I really remember was that he said he had been fighting near to Dunkirk and had been crawling through a corn field when he looked up to see a German pointing a rifle at him before uttering the immortal words “For you the war is over”. That was the end of his fighting and he spent the next four and half years in captivity. I also wish I that I had taken the time to learn more.

A mug made from a ration tin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread   The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread  

Stalag VIIIB censor stamp found on the rear of a British soldier photo portrait.

A very early edition of ‘Marking Time’, the newspaper produced by and for escaped prisoners of war in Switzerland.

It is edition (or volume) 3 from January 1944, produced before it became a proper newspaper. It was clearly a very limited print run, which it alludes to inside as there were complaints that there were not enough copies.

There are 25 pages printed on very thick paper about A4 size

As with the newspapers, I can’t imagine that there are many copies left.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread   The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread  

The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread   The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread  

The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread   The Allied Prisoner of War P.o.W Thread  

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5