Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Armed Service Editions Books

Article about: I wanted to share a couple of my finds from this weekend. Once a month there is an "old time trade days" sale close to where I live. My husband and I try to go every month, and I c

?

Nice books. I have a bunch of them somewhere. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Rich, if you come across them at some point, post them on here. I like seeing all the different titles and genres.

-Robyn

Quote by LoyalHistorian View Post
    I found my other two Armed Service Editions today. White Fang (March 1944) and the Selected Short Stories of Mark Twain (March 1945). Like I mentioned, I was excited to find both of these. White Fang is one of my favorite books ever
    Especially intriguing to me as White Fang is one of the first books we read as a class in primary school in England and my kids read it too at Service Childrens Schools in Germany. I must ask my grand kids as there is a good chance they might have read it too!

I never considered that there might be a "militaria" connection like this.

Thanks for evoking a memory!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Default Selected Poems of John Masefield, Cluny Brown, and The Crock of Gold

Another "trade day" weekend. The woman and man who have the little shop there haven't had time to look through the boxes of stuff yet. The woman's departed husband was the military collector, so she said she has to figure out where the rest of his stuff is packed up. Anyway, here were three more ASEs that they turned up. They're really nice people. At this point, my husband and I enjoy visiting with them each month.

Selected Poems of John Masefield, #820 of the Y Series, September 1945

Cluny Brown by Margery Sharp, R-22, February 1945

The Crock of Gold by James Stephens, N-5, October 1944

-Robyn

?

Nice finds. Rich A. in Pa.

Here is a book from the series that has Poems in it.

My favorite is the topic of the cover.. Paul Reveres Ride..

I think I have some more tuck away in a box somewhere..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Armed Service Editions Books  

Nice, Smitty! Thanks for posting it! That one's really nice. I love Longfellow's poems. Very nice with it being a patriotic-themed poem on the cover.

?

Nice book. Rich A. in Pa.

Here is another book in the series that I found in another one of my many boxes and tubs..

Printed on the inside cover is the description of the books being distributed for Army and Navy personnel and inside the back cover is a list of more titles that were available.

I think at one time I had about 25 of these books but as I start to downsize my collection I believe I have moved them on, but they may be at my storage facility.

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Armed Service Editions Books   Armed Service Editions Books  

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Here is another book in the series that I found in another one of my many boxes and tubs..

Printed on the inside cover is the description of the books being distributed for Army and Navy personnel and inside the back cover is a list of more titles that were available.

I think at one time I had about 25 of these books but as I start to downsize my collection I believe I have moved them on, but they may be at my storage facility.

Smitty
    Hi Leigh, I'm a bit confused by that one; "20,000 leagues" by Jules Verne circa 1870 or "David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens circa 1850. What's the connection? I am sure I am missing the point here but I just can't fathom it

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast