MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

"Award for Careless Talk" poster

Article about: Nice, original piece I picked up at auction today. Sizing 37 x 28 1/2 in., (94 x 72.5 cm.), which is a bit bigger than some other examples I've found in archives online. "Award for Care

Oh yeah! I went through the listing...some really nice posters! The three US made posters were big-hitters for sure. I'm honestly surprised how many items didn't get bid on in the catalog.

Have you gotten many posters linen backed? I've never gotten any done. Are there any cons to that?

Quote by LoyalHistorian View Post
    Oh yeah! I went through the listing...some really nice posters! The three US made posters were big-hitters for sure. I'm honestly surprised how many items didn't get bid on in the catalog.

Have you gotten many posters linen backed? I've never gotten any done. Are there any cons to that?
    Everything got bid on from what I saw except the SA poster which looked like a poster reprinted on paper?? It was starting at $125 I think.

So that's an interesting question because when you think about it the item becomes modified and no longer considered "untouched" but I called several places and they said it increases value regardless. Check out the examples of what linen backing can do here about 3/4 down the page. Virtually can't see any wrinkles: Linen Backing: Frequently Asked Questions: Should I Linen Back my Poster or Not? - Original Vintage Movie Posters it basically adds additional stability to the piece and is always reversible. That's the point to conservation. I'm going to go the extra mile and frame it in archival grade materials - poster free backing, a spacer to prevent any glass/plexi from touching and UV resistant glass/plexi. There's a museum grade option that's more clear. All said and done I'm probably going to end up ~$700 in.

Thank you for answering that about the linen backing. I've never looked into it, but I've always been hesitant to do it because of that underlying idea that it is not longer considered "untouched," like you stated. I didn't realize it could be reversed! Good to know. I'm for sure going to read through the link you have attached, so thank you in advance for that. I could think of a few posters I own that could benefit from some stability. Yeah, the archival framing is expensive. But, you're right in going the extra mile...what's the point in investing in a historical item if you're just going to let it deteriorate in your possession, right? I haven't gotten any of mine framed in over a decade...prices have definitely gone up. Then again, they were expensive back then too. I think I paid about $400ish on the last one I framed. Turned out great though.

Thank you for answering that about the linen backing. I've never looked into it, but I've always been hesitant to do it because of that underlying idea that it is not longer considered "untouched," like you stated. I didn't realize it could be reversed! Good to know. I'm for sure going to read through the link you have attached, so thank you in advance for that. I could think of a few posters I own that could benefit from some stability. Yeah, the archival framing is expensive. But, you're right in going the extra mile...what's the point in investing in a historical item if you're just going to let it deteriorate in your possession, right? I haven't gotten any of mine framed in over a decade...prices have definitely gone up. Then again, they were expensive back then too. I think I paid about $400ish on the last one I framed. Turned out great though.
    I suppose cost is driven by where you live. There's only a couple places in the US that linen back or so I've been told. Poster Plus in Chicago does and a place in New York. PP is going to charge me $218.08 to linen back. A chain called Fastframe is the cheapest and will charge $250 for UV resistant acrylic or UV resistant glass. Another ~$150-200 for museum quality glass which is supposed to be less reflective. That includes the framing, spacer, all archival mounting materials.

The movie poster site that you linked to me, they're only about an hour and a half from where I live. Their website says they're not taking anymore new costumers at the moment, but when they do open back up to more customers, I might have to give them a try. I've got this one WWI poster that probably desperately needs to be backed. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk this over with me.

Once you get your poster linen-backed and framed up, I hope you'll post it on the forum for us to see!

The movie poster site that you linked to me, they're only about an hour and a half from where I live. Their website says they're not taking anymore new costumers at the moment, but when they do open back up to more customers, I might have to give them a try. I've got this one WWI poster that probably desperately needs to be backed. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk this over with me.

Once you get your poster linen-backed and framed up, I hope you'll post it on the forum for us to see!
    Poster Conservation & Poster Restoration - Poster Plus You can fill out this form to get a quote. Once they contact you they'll ask for dimensions and pictures of the front and back and can give you an accurate number. Yes, I will post it as soon as it's done! It will probably be a few weeks.

Just wanted to bump this - it's at the poster place now, they estimate about 6 weeks turn around. Will post images once I get it back and framed.

Just got this back today - conserved and framed. Turned out pretty nice, now just need to find a spot! I forgot to write up that this poster is part of a series known as the “Don’t Talk” set. This piece in particular was designed by social realism artist Stevan Dohanos. Dohanos is best known for his work on the covers of the Saturday Evening Post of which he would design 125 of them during the 1940s and 1950s, so an interesting bit about the artist.

"Award for Careless Talk" poster
    Last edited by Glittering_Ship4193; 11-12-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Oh, wow! Look at that! It turned out so nice! Thanks so much for updating the post and showing us what it looks like. That's really sharp looking. I especially appreciate the fact that you spent the time and money to preserve it. I'm glad to learn about the artist. That is very interesting.

Oh, wow! Look at that! It turned out so nice! Thanks so much for updating the post and showing us what it looks like. That's really sharp looking. I especially appreciate the fact that you spent the time and money to preserve it. I'm glad to learn about the artist. That is very interesting.
    Thanks! It turned out very nicely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2