Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Battleship USS Pennsylvania, Pre Pearl Harbor attack, TH (Territory Hawaii 1932)

Article about: I have been going through several boxes of things that have been packed for a number of years and I came across this pre-World War II, Pre-Pearl Harbor attack photo of the Battleship USS Pen

Default Battleship USS Pennsylvania, Pre Pearl Harbor attack, TH (Territory Hawaii 1932)

I have been going through several boxes of things that have been packed for a number of years and I came across this pre-World War II, Pre-Pearl Harbor attack photo of the Battleship USS Pennsylvania.

This was taken in February 1932 at Pearl Harbor and at the time the Pennsylvania was the flag ship for the Commander in Chief.

The Pacific fleet which was moored at Pearl Harbor TH (Territory Hawaii) would often sail out of the Harbor for maneuvers and exercises and upon returning to the harbor or departure they would move through the entrance to the harbor and many photographers would set up on the banks in order to capture the full-length image of the ship. Due to the size of the ships this was one of the only ways to photograph these grand ships. The only other way was to fly over the ships and take pictures from the sky. These pictures would later be printed and in some cases sold to members of the crew when on shore leave.

I have a few other related documents for a Sailor on the Pennsylvania that are boxed up elsewhere and when I find them I will combine them with this photo to keep them together.

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battleship USS Pennsylvania, Pre Pearl Harbor attack, TH (Territory Hawaii 1932)  

Cool picture.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.