Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

British WW2 casualty Paybooks

Article about: I've posted these elsewhere but I thought a thread showing my casualty paybooks in chronological order with a write up of each may be of interest, any thoughts or observations please feel fr

?

6103816 John Allan Butler of B Company 2nd South Stafford's part of 1st Airborne Division, he was killed 10/7/43 during Operation Ladbroke when he South Staffs landed by glider to capture the Ponte Grande Bridge, Sicily, I believe he was a member of 11 Platoon. In 2018 on the 75th Anniversary of the Operation I visited the bridge and Pte Butler's grave

?

7394281 Roger Adams of 196 Field Ambulance RAMC part of 18th Division, he was taken POW at the fall of Singapore 15/2/42, while a POW he died of Cardiac Beri-Beri/Diphtheria at Sonkrai on the Burma Railway on 19/7/43. The paybook was only made after he died so I'm guessing that his actual book was returned to the "effects branch" but was rough (maybe considered infectious) so the details were transferred to a fresh book for the benefit of the Next of Kin.

?

14287075 Thomas Robert Bell of 1 Platoon 38th Field Company Royal Engineers with 5th Division, his death is listed as 2/8/43 on the CWGC but the War Diary has his death as 1/8/43 - from the War Diary below he was killed when an explosion occurred with Tellermines during a training lesson. I visited Sapper Bell's grave in 2018

?

219025 Robert Michael Drake of No3 Company 6th Grenadier Guards, 201st Guards Brigade - this AB64 was issued to him as an Officer Cadet - on 10/9/43 he was leading his Platoon in an attack the Verdesca/Battipaglia area when he was shot in the head by a machine gun burst. Below is an extract from "Esprit De Corps" by W A Elliott, a Scots Guards officer - it has the defenders as Italian but I'm not sure if they were actually Germans

Battalion War Diary for the day starts

"0515 hours
    No. 3 Company attacked again, this time with more success and the enemy were pushed back. Lieutenant DRAKE was killed in this action. No. 3 Company suffered some casualties here, chiefly due to Spandau fire. No. 3 Company reported some tanks and A.F.V. to their immediate front and so no further advance could be made."

?

T/191334 George Henry Lisle, 293 Company RASC, the Company was operating DUKW's in Italy and on 21/11/43 Driver Lisle was Killed in Action but I have been unable to find any information yet, he is buried at Minturno so it must have occurred somewhere nearby

?

14568972 Vernon Frost of 1st Royal Fusiliers with 8th Indian Division, 30/11/43 he died of wounds received in the fighting for Mozzagrogna in Italy - the photo below is the Regimental Cemetery in Mozzagrogna

?

14320393 James W George Burgess of 23 Dock Operating Company RE, on 6/12/43 when serving in Gibraltar he was entering the hold of a ship he slipped and fell from a ladder hitting his head on some steel plate fracturing his skull, he was rushed to hospital and operated on but succumbed to his injuries

?

1470679 Walter William Foddy of 244th battery, 78th HAA Regiment RA 17/12/43 he died of illness in Brindisi. 3 Of Walter's Uncles were killed in WW1.

?

14318899 David John Calderwood of the Carrier Platoon 2nd Wiltshire Regiment part of 5th Division, he was killed 18/1/44 during the crossing of the Garigliano

?

3386212 Norman Davies of 2nd Northamptonshire's, as with Private Calderwood above, Private Davies was with 5th Division and died on the Garigliano crossing on 18/1/44

edit to add Pte Davies had previously served with the 5th Northamptonshire's in 78th Division and with them was wounded 28/11/42 at Djedeida Airfield in Tunisia
    Last edited by AB64; 04-10-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast