Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

British WW2 casualty Paybooks

Article about: I've posted these elsewhere but I thought a thread showing my casualty paybooks in chronological order with a write up of each may be of interest, any thoughts or observations please feel fr

?

977964 George Henry Hart of 311 Battery, 90th LAA Regiment RA part of 1st Division he died of wounds 27/1/44 at Anzio

?

5504864 Maurice Henry Goode of B Company, 1st Royal Sussex Regiment, 8th Indian Division he was killed during the Battalions disastrous attacks on Point 593 during the 2nd Battle of Monte Cassino - having just struggled up to Snakeshead Ridge where they observed the destruction of the monastery which they weren't expecting due to lack of coordination, in a desperate attempt to exploit the bombing they were thrown against Point 593 in a poorly planned night attack by a single company resulting in 50% casualties, followed up by a full Battalion attack again suffering 50% casualties - exhausted men, attacking uphill over unfamiliar barren rocky ground against well dug in Fallschirmjaeger defenders able to rain grenades onto them. Pte Goode had only joined the Battalion just over a week before his death

?

6289640 John Oliver Gosling of B Company 5th Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment), 78th Division - just after the closing of the 3rd Battle of Monte Cassino Private Gosling was one of 2 men killed by shelling/mortaring in the area of the station/round house/hummocks. I visited his grave in 2019

?

2330290 Harold Lansdowne Broome of 77th Brigade Signals, 3rd Indian Division - on 17/4/44 while serving on Operation Thursday (the 2nd Chindit expedition) he was killed by a mortar bomb hitting his dug out near Mawlu in the White City stronghold

?

4338483 Albert Hudston of 276 Battery 88th HAA Regiment Royal Artillery, 2nd AA Brigade - he was killed 20/4/44 near Lanciano when enemy aircraft strafed and dive bombed the Battery wagon lines. The War Diary below gives details for the 20th and the entry for the 21st give extra information claiming that captured Spitfires were amongst the attacking aircraft. On the photos below the first shows Gunner Hudston during WW2, the second shows him during earlier service in the early 20's with the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

?

930758 Joseph William Taylor-Lowen, 114th Field Regiment with 20th Indian Division, on 20/4/44 while part of the Imphal defences he was wounded and killed in the Japanese attack on the "Crete" position at Tegnoupal - on the War Diary entries below the first shows the phase of fighting he was wounded and the second refers to his death, he is the "OPA killed" (Observation Post Assistant). He was awarded a Mention in Despatches for his action - it's possible he would have got a higher decoration but Mid and VC were the only options open posthumously.

His brother was killed around 3 1/2 months later but more of that later

?

6013402 Leonard Frank Futter of 1st Hampshires, 50th Division, on D-day he was part of the first way on Jig sector of Gold beach - at some point on 6/6/44 he was killed in the area of Asnelles-Sur-Mer

?

13115148 Alfred Surtees of 303 Company Pioneers Corps, on D-Day he landed on Queen Sector of Sword beach where the company was tasked with assisting medical units as stretcher bearers, grave digging and general labour as required - on 7th June Cpl Surtees died of a gun shot wound to the chest (the War Diary has its as 8th as d other documents but these were later corrected to 7th) - I'm unsure if the wound was sustained on the 6th or 7th. The last 4 images below were supplied by a fellow collector, I picked up the book and a few other bits from an auction house a long time ago but more recently someone listed a small related group on eBay but unfortunately I didn't see it - it includes his D-Day landing card.

?

2988064 Neil McMillan Whyte of 8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders with 78th Division, 30/6/44 he was killed in a Battle Accident when the Battalion were in the area of Piana which is near Orvieto - I visited his grave a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the War Diary gives no clues to the cause of death, it basically has it as a quite day with shelling and states no Casualties for the day.

?

2325348 John James Whiteside of Royal Corps of Signals attached HQ 2nd Army Group Royal Artillery - he died of wounds 2/7/44, he was originally buried at Perugia but was later moved to Assisi - frustratingly I visited the cemetery 2 years ago but hadn't done my homework before my trip so while I will have passed his grave and looked at it, I didn't pay it specific attention

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast