Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

British WW2 casualty Paybooks

Article about: I've posted these elsewhere but I thought a thread showing my casualty paybooks in chronological order with a write up of each may be of interest, any thoughts or observations please feel fr

?

5385729 Wilfred Thomas Joseph Cannon of 1st Queens Own Royal West Kents part of 4th Division - he was killed 6/7/44 around San Pancrazio

?

14579219 Harold Simpson Brown, 1st Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 53rd Division he was killed in the fighting around Cheux in Normandy on 10/7/44

?

6012523 James Alfred Davis of 1/4th Essex Regiment part of 4th Indian Division, he was killed 13/7/44 in the fighting around Monte Santa Maria

?

14275924 Albert Leslie Hill of 6th Black Watch, 4th Division, 30/7/44 he died of wounds received in the fighting for Monte Scalari - I have vistied his grave in Florence a couple of times in the last 4 years

The below must have been one of his last letters home, looks like he had only been with the Battalion a short time before his death

?

14577526 Mark Taylor-Lowen 1/6th South Staffordshire's of 59th Division, he was killed at Sur-Le Mont in Normandy on 7/8/44 - he was with HQ Company and the War Diary records the intensity of shelling and mortaring and that HQ was subjected to it too. Someone dealing with Casualties Effects has wrongly noted the date of death as June rather than August in pencil at the top

Mark was the brother of Joseph whose book was featured earlier in the thread as he was killed at Imphal

?

1948619 (Commissioned as 271168) Edward Hugh LeWarne - this book relates to his time in the Ranks before becoming an officer - he served with 622 Field Squadron Royal Engineers on 18/9/44 he was killed by shellfire near Ospedaletto while in camp. His death and also funeral are covered in the War Diary.

?

5381345 John William Crewe, 2nd Battalion Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (52nd Light Infantry), 6th Airborne Division 1st Airlanding Brigade. WOII Crewe was the CSM for H Company (Heavy Weapons) and landed in Normandy by glider on the second lift on the evening of D-Day. CSM Crewe was killed in the fighting around St. Come south of Breville in Normandy on 19/6/44. He was buried in the Ranville War Cemetery.

Excerpt from War Diary:

"June 19th, St. Come - After, a quiet day the enemy sent over a heavy mortar concentration including some “Moaning Minnies" at 2000 hrs for 30 mins. At 2100 hrs a fighting patrol of 2 platoons of B Company commanded by B Company commander attacked towards wood. The patrol came under very heavy fire from the flank in the area of the wood and the officer commanding B Company was wounded. The patrol withdrew and owing to the fact that the enemy appeared to be following up the withdrawal. D Company were sent forward to cover the patrol back. The enemy put down considerable mortar and "Moaning Minnie" fire and a number of casualties were incurred particularly in the area of Regimental HQ. The patrol reported enemy in strength in the wood as already stated and that they had succeeded in killing a number of the enemy before being forced to withdraw. Enemy small arms fire on this occasion was noticeably very inaccurate. Officer commanding S Company assumed command of B Company."

?

I had a go at that one on eBay a bit back but just missed out, the buyer then immediately turned it round on his site - it is a nice one and I think he also gets a mention in "The Devils Own Luck"

?

Can't wait to see your Arnhem related Paybooks!

?

Only the one Arnhem casualty I'm afraid - off the top of my head its the only Arnhem killed one I've seen for sale, a friend has one that was recovered from a house in Oosterbeek after the battle that I think was killed but I could be mistaken - after this thread I can do an Arnhem one

1886002 Lennox Tod Anderson, of no2 Detachment, 261st Field Park Company, 1st Airborne Division - according the War Diary for 25/9/44 "Dets ordered to withdraw across river with 9 Coy at 2115 hrs. Barrage increased at 2100 hrs. Proceeded to river. Spr ANDERSON was killed by mortar bomb" the Roll of Honour has his body recovered from the Rhine at Amerongen October 1944.

So cause of death etc seems simple, however when I showed this before I was sent a war crimes investigation file which confuses things a bit - in this file it talks about a body being dropped of in April 1945 at the German HQ in Amerongen either already dead or close to death, no one was allowed to approach and later the body was taken and buried in the local cemetery in the grave now marked as Anderson, the grave registration unit identified the body by a tag combined with Airborne flashes. The eye witness accounts vary in their detail but the basics from the grave diggers seem strong.

So there are 2 possibilities for his death and no obvious way to be sure which is correct - I'm inclined to believe the 25th September date as the War Diary is very clear which would give the impression he was seen killed, and it may be at that point his book was recovered by one of his officers/NCO's - it doesn't look like its been in the river on a body for weeks and I can't work out how it was recovered if he had been evading for months and no mention is made of it in the War Crime investigation file.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast