Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

British WW2 casualty Paybooks

Article about: I've posted these elsewhere but I thought a thread showing my casualty paybooks in chronological order with a write up of each may be of interest, any thoughts or observations please feel fr

?

14692349 Stanley Gerald Lane, 1st Dorsets of 50th Division, he was killed 5/10/44 in the fighting around Heuval, I have visted his grave in Oosterbeek a couple of times

?

4395556 Leslie Irvin, 2nd Essex Regiment with 49th Division, he was killed in the fighting to clear Zetten, previously he had been with the 6th Green Howards with whom he had been wounded

?

2739914 Idrys Woodwall Thomas, 5th Wiltshire Regiment, 43rd Division - he was killed 15/2/45 during the attack on the Bremenkamp Feature near Kleve during Operation Veritable

?

5346790 David Leslie Quinn of Support Company 6th Queens Royal West Kents, 78th Division - he was killed by shelling at Conselice the copy Condolence letter from his Officer gives some details. I believe the photo below shows his Foster Parents visiting his grave, you can see the devastation on their faces

?

14370730 Leslie William Tate, of 2nd Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), 5th Division, he was killed in the attack on Bleckede on 21/4/45. I'm from the Cameronians recruiting area so this one is special for me, I used to know a local veteran who served with the Battalion from Anzio right through and he spoke to me about Bleckede and how tough a fight it was, he lost his 2 best mates and they are buried in the row behind Rifleman Tate - unfortunately Hugh passed away before I got this book so I never got to ask him about Rifleman Tate or if he remembered him

?

14546659 Harold Biggins of the Royal Corps of Signals serving with 12th Air Formation Signals he was killed 23/4/45 somewhere near Lubbecke - the "K BA" note on the right makes me wonder if its "Killed Battle Accident" - the casualty returns say "Accidentally killed", the War Diary adds nothing but I assume the unit was spread over lots of small tasks

?

14451654 John Leslie Whittingham of 507 Field Company Royal Engineers, part of 47th Division (at this time a training Division) he was killed 4/5/45 (76 years ago today) when the lorry he was traveling in had an accident causing him crush injuries from the canopy support

?

2018797 Leslie Samuel John Hutchins of the Royal Engineers who died of Phthisis/Tuberculosis 24/7/45 - I think Sapper Hutchins may have been discharged by then, the death certificate shows him as van driver and not as a soldier and also he isn't included in the Army casualty returns, but he is recorded on the CWGC website and has one of their headstones - for some time after the war deaths like these seem to be recorded as War Deaths, not sure if it was while a soldier was still with the reserve.

?

7367420 Arthur Thomas Underwood of 105 Base Depot Canteen RASC, he was killed in an accident in Germany 1/10/45

?

1115668 Albert Edward Roe, 1048 Port Company Royal Engineers, 25/6/46 he was part of a group loading barges with surplus munitions to dump off the Scottish coast when there was an explosion (apparently an anti-tank mine fuse setting off others explosives), 7 men were killed including Cpl Roe

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast