Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

A couple of interesting postcards - WW1 & WW2

Article about: Here are a couple of postcards I recently found. Neither is in great condition but poignant all the same. I thought you might like a look? The first is for executed WW1 nurse Edith Cavell Th

Default A couple of interesting postcards - WW1 & WW2

Here are a couple of postcards I recently found. Neither is in great condition but poignant all the same.

I thought you might like a look?

The first is for executed WW1 nurse Edith Cavell in 1915

A couple of interesting postcards - WW1 & WW2 A couple of interesting postcards - WW1 & WW2

The second is a souvenir of the midget sub raid on Sydney Harbour, Australia in 1942

A couple of interesting postcards - WW1 & WW2 A couple of interesting postcards - WW1 & WW2

Relics of incidents in both wars ..... just neat that they even exist so many years later!

LEST WE FORGET
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Nice! I’ve always found war time example’s interesting! And they’re very collectible too.

My grandfather who worked for the railways was working at Central at the time of the midget submarine attacks and told me what a scary crazy place Sydney had been that night. Incidentally, there’s a very interesting book on the subject by David Jenkins called “Battle Surface”. It talks about the lead up to the attacks including a reconnaissance flight by a very small lightweight Japanese aircraft that flew as far as Gladesville or Ryde I think it was.

My old dad was living in the city at the time ( my GF was an air raid warden ) and as a 6yr old, his school ( Fort St Primary ) was evacuated and he got the next day off ..... he always said that was the best thing!

Ahh, to be a kid again ...
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "