Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mysterious Find Inside a Picture Frame of US WW1 Pilot

Article about: Dear friends! Today decided to clean a picture frame of unnamed US WW1 pilot. And - SURPRISE! An envelope with letters, documents and paperclips dated 1918! I am not familiar with US abbrevi

Teddybear: These entries are from, The U.S, Air Service in WW1, Vol. 3. He was a POW in Villingen, Germany where he died of Influenza in 1918. If you want to know more about him, I might be able to find something among my collection of books and documents regarding the U.S. Air Service in WW1.
    2nd Lt. Ivan Roberts
    Headquarters, 27th Aero Squadron, AS." Operations Office, 1st Pursuit Group September 13th, 1918
    Atmospheric conditions-cloudy. From 16 h Sept. 12 to 16 h Sept. 13th, 1918 returned at 7 h 20 Sept. 13th. Lt Luke had forced landing at Dieulouard. For results see reconnaissance report. Note: The three planes which went on Alert at 15 h 10 Sept. 12th returned at 16 h 30 Sept. 12th. Alt 300 meters. Nothing to report. 1)-1 Patrol. 8 h 53 to 10 h05,4 planes. Lts. Vasconcells, Wilson, Lyman and Clapp. Ah. 150 meters. For results see reconnaissance report of Lt. Vasconcells. 2)-1 Patrol. 13 h 55 to -b, 6 planes. Lts. Stout, Wilson, Roberts, Dawson, Donaldson and Nicolson. Alt. 300 meters. For results see reconnaissance report of Lt. Roberts, Wilson, Dawson and Nicolson
    27th Aero Squadron September 13,1918
    Combat and Reconnaissance Reports
    Lt. Ivan A. Roberts reports: Patrolled from Watronville, Vigneulles and East. Flew North East from St. Mihiel at 300 meters, searching woods for evidence of our troops. I noticed US. artillery moving east on the road at Hattonchatel. The whole ridge and woods were practically deserted. There were small troop trains moving east on cross roads of the Vigneulles-Fresnes road. Very little artillery action in the region east of the ridge. The line of advance at 3 P.M. seemed to run from Fresnes east to Chambley. There was very little evidence of any violent fighting at any point along this line. All the villages at the base of the ridge were burning, with the exception of Vigneulles. No E.A. sighted.
    Headquarters, 27th Aero Squadron, AS. Operations Office, 1st Pursuit Group September 14th, 1918 From 18 h 30 Sept. 13th to 18 h 30 Sept. 14th. 1918.
    The patrols that left at 17 h 20 Sept 13th returned at 18 h 55. Six planes flying time was 9 h 30 min. The Trial flight that left at 18 h 30 on Sept 13th returned at 19 h 25. Flying time 55 min. 1) -1 Patrol. 9 h 30 to 11 h 15, 13 planes. Lts. Clapp, Donaldson, Lennon, Hudson, Rucker, Roberts, Nicolson, Hoover, Vasconcells, Stout, Dawson, Lyman and Luke. Alt. 3000 to 5000 meters. For results see reconnaissance report of Lts. Dawson, Luke and Lennon and Clapp. 1)-1 Trial Flight. 9 h 50 to 10 h 00,l plane. Lt. Wehner. 2)-1 Trial Flight. 11 h 30 to 12 h 15,l plane. Lt. Wehner. 3)-1 Trial Flight. 11 h 45 to 12 h 05.1 plane. Lt. McKimmon. 4)-1 Trial Flight. 12 h 35 to 13 h 05,l plane. Lt. White. 2)-1 Patrol. 14 h 30 to 16 hr 05,9 planes. Lts. Roberts, Rucker, Vasconcells, White, Dawson, Wilson, Stewart, Luke and Wehner. Alt. 2500 to 5000 meters. For results see Lts. Wehner and Luke's reconnaissance report. Lt. Luke returned at 16 h 50. Testing. 5)-1 Trial Flight. 14 h 50 to 17 h 15, 1 plane. Major Hartney. 6)-1 Trial Flight. 15 h 00 to 15 h 25, 1 plane. Lieut Grant. Testing. 7)-1 Trial Flight. 15 h 40 to 16 h 22, 1 plane. Lieut Stout. Testing. 8)-1 ;Trial Flight. 16 h 25 to 17 h 10, 1 plane. Lieut Clapp. Testing. 9)-1 Trial Flight. 17 h 00 to 17 h 25,l plane. Lieut Lyman. Testing. 10)-1 Trial Flight. 17 h 10 to 17 h 25,l plane. Lieut Nicolson. Testing. 11)-1 Trial Flight. 17 h 14 to 17 h 30, 1 plane. Lieut. Wilson. Summary Testing. a) Sorties 40 j) Total planes 25 b) Trials 12 k) Available planes 19 c) Combats 7 I) Total flying hours 52'30" d) Pilots available 19 m) Total service hours 45' e) Pilots total 19 0) Patrols 3 I i) Enemy planes 2 Planes & unconfirmed 2 balloons. \ 392 U.S. Air Service
    Operations Office 27th Aero Squadron, AS. 1st Pursuit Group Amer, E.F. Sept. 14, 1918 Operations Order No. 125.
    1. The following schedule of Operations is announced as effective for tomorrow, Sept. 15, 1918. The 1st Army will attack with their new objectives in view throughout the day, This Group will maintain a barrage against hostile aviation, observation aviation will be protected and hostile balloons wjll be attacked opposite the front of the 5th Corps. MISSION REGION Patrol C hatillon-sous-les-Cotes to Etang-de-Lachaussee TIME 2. All pilots whose machines are serviceable will report to the Operations Office 20 minutes before time scheduled for first patrol, for final instructions. Lieut. Roberts will be the patrol leader. 13 h 15 to 14 h 45 and “C” Flight from 18 h 00 until dark. 5 h 45 to 7 h 15. 10 h 45 to 12 h 15. 15 h 45 to 17 h 15 3. In addition to the above patrols “B1 Flight will be on alert from 4. These orders may be changed before mid-night.
    Headquarters, 27th Aero Squadron, A.S. Operations Office, 1st Pursuit Group Sept. 15th’ 1918
    Atmospheric conditions-clear. 1)-1 Patrol. 5 h 50 to 7 h 40, 11 planes. Lts. Hudson, Wilson, Vasconcells, Dawson, Hewitt, Lennon, Lyman, Clapp, Roberts, Stout and Luke. Alt. 3500 to 5000 meters. For results see reconnaissance report of Lt. Roberts. Vasconcells, White, Rucker, Luke, Donaldson and Hoover. For results of this patrol see reconnaissance report of Lts. Luke and Hoover. At. 3500 meters. Testing. new machine from Vavincourt. Rucker, Lennon, Grant, Stout, Hoover, Wehner, Dawson, Luke, Donaldson and White. 2)-1 Patrol. 10 h 45 to 12 h 05, planes. Lts. Stout, CIapp, 1)-1 Trial Flight. 14 h 05 to 14 h 50. 1 plane. Lt. Donddson. 1)-1 Sortie. 13 h 35 to 14 h 00.1 plane. Lt. McKimmon ferried a 3)-1 Patrol. 16 h 20 to 18 h 00. 12 planes. Lts. Nicolson, Hewitt.
    Combat and Reconnaissance Reports
    Lt. Ivan A. Roberts reports: Patrolled Chatillon to Etang-de Lachaussee. Visibility very good. Tows [Towns?] along the Orne river burning. Patrolled for an hour on a line from Etain to Chambley. Ob served considerable artillery action. Sighted 2 E. A. 800 meters above us over Etang-de-Lachaussee. Balloon S. E. of Etain up again. Shot 100 shots at balloon from high altitude.
    27th Aero Squadron, AS. Operations Office 1st Pursuit Group September 16th, 1918 Supplementary report to operations of Sept. 15th, 1918. 1)
    1 Alert. 18 h 50 to 19 h 40,8 planes. Lts. Grant (leader) Lyman, Roberts, Rucker, Clapp, Vasconcells, Wehner and Luke. At. 500 to 1000 meters. Lt. Luke did not return on the patrol but returned at 12 h 45 Sept 16th. 1918. For result see Lt. Luke’s reconnaissance report. Summary: a) Sorties 8 c) Combats 1 i) Enemy planes unconfirmed I) Total flying hours 6‘40” m) Total service hours 6‘40” n) Alerts 1 1 (balloon) Operations Report, September 16th, 1918 1)-1 Patrol, 9 h 30 to 11 h 05,9 planes. Lts. Donaldson, Hewitt, Clapp, Hudson, Lennon, Stewart, Roberts, Hoover and Wdson. Alt. 3500 meters. 2)-1 Patrol. 14 h 30 to 16 h 05, 10 planes. Lts. Stout, Nicolson, Wehner, Stewart, Wilson, Lyman, Hewitt, Dawson, Luke and McKimmon. Alt. 3hO meters. Nothing to report. White. Ferrying new machine from Vavincourt. 1)-1 Sortie. 16 h 30 to 16 h 42.2 planes. Lts. Donaldson and White. Ferrying new machine from Vavincourt.

Teddybear:
    In the USAF Historical Study #133, “U.S. Air Service Victory Credits in World War 1,” 2nd Lt. Ivan Roberts is credited with one victory against a German airplane on 17 July 1918. He is also credited with a shared victory over a German airplane on 1 August 1918 and another victory as a 1st Lt. against a German balloon on 1 August 1918. His victory score was 2.5, half way to becoming an Ace.
    I also found Lt. Ivan Roberts in James J. Hudson, Hostile Skies: A Combat History of the American Air Service in World War 1. Syracuse, New York: Syracuse University Press, 1968. pp. 112, 114-15, 260-61, 280. Here are excerpts from the book. (Note) James J. Hudson is a former History professor and is considered to be a reliable secondary source author, but like all secondary sources, his work is subject to factual errors. His source for Roberts being killed on 26 September 1918 is, Thomas G. Miller, ed. “Casualties of A.E.F. Pursuit Aviation.” Cross and Cockade Journal, Spring 1962, 30, another secondary source that is generally believed to be reliable.
    The aggressive 27th, rapidly becoming one of the very best fighter squadrons on the front, was to down seven Huns during the offensive but was also to lose nine officers killed or captured and one wounded. The first blow came at 7:00 P.M. on 21 July, when a patrol consisting of Lieutenants MacArthur, Norton, Roberts, Dawson, and Miller encountered a storm and high winds several miles south of Soissons. As the five struggled against the gale which was blowing them deeper into German territory, they were jumped by seven Albatross fighters. Only L. H. Dawson and Ivan Roberts returned from the ensuing battle. (112)
    The Meuse-Argonne Offensive
    One of the most vital air operations on the first day of the big offensive was to put the German observation balloons out of action. At 4:00 A.M., shortly after the thunder of the Army's 2,700 big cannons signaled the opening of the campaign, eighty-one Spads of the 1st Pursuit Group took off from Rembercourt and headed toward the lines. It was still dark, but the Americans had no trouble in locating the trenches, for the tremendous artillery barrage had marked the front like a line of fire. The group was out early to catch the enemy balloons just at dawn when the attacker would be hard to see. The plan was eminently successful; within an hour no less than six German "sausages" fell in flames before the guns of Lieutenants Ivan A. Roberts, Jerry Vasconcelles, H. Weir Cook, Reed Chambers, Alexander McLanahan, and Harold Buckley." (260)
    In all, Hartney’s low-flying 1st Pursuit Group destroyed ten German aircraft on 26 September. During the day, Lieutenants Alan Nutt and Ivan Roberts were shot down and killed. (261) Dwight

Dear drmessimer! Thank you so much for your generous sharing of the very interesting historical facts! And thank you for the time you spent during these research! It still amazes me how people like you have a passion for history and your ability to find facts from more than hundred years ago and share them with those people who share your passion!!
    If by any chance you could find more information about Ivan Roberts.. We all will appreciate it greatly!!

Teddybear, Thank you for the generous words. I taught history in the CSU system for many years and helping students and fellow researchers has become second nature. I enjoy doing it because along the way I too learn. I am still interested in learning if Ivan Roberts was shot down and killed or shot down, made prisoner, and died in Villingen of wounds or influenza. That will take some time because I will need to contact two agencies to see who currently holds the U.S. POW records. The American Red Cross (ARC) was our representative for POW matters rather than the International Red Cross (IRC) that represented all others warring powers. Several years ago, when I was writing a book about the mass escape from Villingen in October 1918, I acquired all 7,628 pages of the ARC records through a Federal Research Grant. But that was over 30 years ago, and I have no idea what happened to them after I retired. I suspect that the originals are now buried in the U.S. National Archives, which for me is effectively beyond reach. There is also the USAF Historical Research Agency, at Maxwell AFB, Alabama, and the National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. I will start with them. This will be a long, drawn-out search, but maybe we will be lucky. Dwight

Teddybear; Roger M. has saved us a lot of time trying to sort out when Roberts actually died--in captivity or was he shot down and killed. Roger M's post #4 of this thread had a reliable and detailed answer; Roberts was KIA on 26 September 1918. Dwight
    Last edited by drmessimer; 11-23-2021 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Teddy Bear: To keep the record straight, the first newspaper clipping in Post #1 has four errors in fact, which offer a good example why newspapers are always questionable secondary sources.
    No. 1:
    “He (Roberts) was a student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).” I searched Technology’s War Record, (747 pp.) in the alphabetical student body section, and the included "Register of Military Records" (pp. 414-607) and the "Register of Civilian Records" (pp. 608-747) and found no reference to him. MIT was an SMA (School of Military Aeronautics) from 21 May 1917 until the end of the war. Though I found no reference to Roberts, he might have gone through the Ground School program there as a 2nd Lieutenant, but it does not seem that he was a student at MIT specifically.
    No. 2:
    “He (Roberts) belonged to the All-American Squadron, of which Quentin Roosevelt was a member.” There was no All-American Squadron in the AEF. The only possibility might be that the reporter who wrote the story was thinking of the Lafayette Escadrille, but neither Roberts nor Roosevelt were members of that group at any time. (Dennis Gordon, Lafayette Escadrille Pilot Biographies). All Air Service Squadrons were numbered, rather than named, though some did acquire nicknames. Quentin Roosevelt was on the staff of the 3rd Aviation Instruction Center at Issoudun before being sent to the 95th Aero Squadron, where he was shot-down and killed on 14 July 1918. (Squadron 95, p. 96, & “U.S. Air Service Victory Credits:" Air University, Maxwell AFB, Alabama, 1969)
    No. 3:
    Roberts did not die on 17 January 1919 in a German POW camp. He was shot down and killed on 26 September 1918 (post #4)
    No. 4:
    Roberts was not a 5-victory Ace, he had 2.5 victories. “U.S. Air Services Victory Credits, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Alabama, 1969)” Dwight

Thank you so much for your help!
    Now everything looks really clear!
    Best regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2