Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Propaganda Leaflets Collection

Article about: In militaria, I dabble in collecting a little bit of everything, but over the past couple of years, my latest obsession has been Propaganda Leaflets. My interest in leaflets began back in 20

Default Propaganda Leaflets Collection

In militaria, I dabble in collecting a little bit of everything, but over the past couple of years, my latest obsession has been Propaganda Leaflets. My interest in leaflets began back in 2002 when I came across a few in my grandfather's military papers, ones that he had brought back from his time in WWII. They piqued my interest back then as a kid and I began to collect a few here and there as I came across them. Just in recent years I picked up a leaflet at an estate sale and it brought back that old obsession - but this time I had really caught the collecting bug. Much to the detriment of my pocketbook, I have amassed close to 400 propaganda leaflets so far. The majority of my collection is WWII, but I have leaflets from the Great War through Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom. Through my collecting journey and search for knowledge on the subject, I've come into contact with a wonderful array of people.

For anyone just getting interested in Propaganda Leaflets, two of the best sources to start research are psywar.org, run by Lee Richards, and psywarrior.com, run by retired SGM. Herb Friedman. SGM. Friedman is especially informative and a very kind man. I've had the pleasure to correspond with him via email a few times, and he's an amazingly nice, helpful, and interesting man.

My hope is to share my collection with the forum, the knowledge I've picked up about each leaflet, and translations of each (of the ones I have the ability to translate). If I do it up-to-par with the quality I'd like, it will be a while before I can post my whole collection.
    I would appreciate any additional knowledge and information on anything I post. I love learning about the history behind the items in my collection. That's the best part about militaria - the history, the stories behind it and the veterans that brought them home.

-Robyn

Hey Robyn, sound cool, bring 'em on .......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Love to see them Mate, I have just the one in my lot.

Default Usgb-zg 90-1944

This was one of my grandfather's leaflets that started my interest in Propaganda Leaflets. It's code is USGB-ZG 90-1944, and it is a Safe Conduct Pass (or "Passierschein" in German). This particular leaflet was made by P.W.D./S.H.A.E.F. (Psychological Warfare Division of Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force), which was the joint American-British organization that conducted tactical psychological warfare campaigns against the Germans in Northwest Europe, late 1943 through the end of WWII in Europe. You can see the two emblems at the top on the front. This particular leaflet is one of many versions that were printed (and in various colors). Each was just a slight improvement on the last. Other Safe Conduct Leaflets that have similar formats are: WG21, ZG21, ZG21A, ZG37, ZG61, US/GB-ZG61A-1944, ZG61K, ZG76, and US/GB-ZG.139-1945, though there are more other variations than that. This leaflet is a revised version of ZG.61. It was disseminated from December 12/13, 1944 through April 29, 1945.

I am including a scan of the front and back of the leaflet, then I am including a translation I've made of the back. Since the front has a translation of the German listed below it, I didn't see the need to make a translation of it. Also, I don't know German...I'm relying on technology to help me translate, so please forgive me if some of it is "off".

Translation of Back:

-Robyn
    Last edited by LoyalHistorian; 02-06-2021 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Additional information

Default Zg.16

This was the second of my grandfather's leaflets that started my interest in Propaganda Leaflets. There are two of these in his papers, but I've only scanned the one in better condition. It's code is ZG.16, and was also made by P.W.D./S.H.A.E.F. (Psychological Warfare Division of Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force). The "ZG" series were made initially for Operation Overlord, then the rest of the Northwestern Europe campaigns, predominately aimed at the Germans, though some of the ZG leaflets are written in French, Polish, and Russian. This leaflet was dropped from June 22/23 through June 24/25, 1944 on Cherbourg. My grandfather, Virgil Voight, was with the 347th Engineer General Service (GS) Regiment during WWII. I have a letter from him talking about how his group was the first ones into Cherbourg. His main job there was repairing the demolished railroads so that the port could start operating again. He picked up two of these leaflets while he was there.

I am including a scan of the front and the back of the best-looking leaflet, then I've made a translation mock-up of the leaflet, too.

Translations (Again, I don't know German and I'm typing everything into a translator, so the translation could be "off". Apologies if this is the case.)

I will be scanning more of my leaflets over time and translating them/making mock-ups of the translations. Hope to post more soon!

-Robyn

If I may? I'll add mine (from your inspiration, I just spent a couple of hours typing out! and the first time I got any gist of it! have owned it for well over 20 years) from the Southern Front.
    If it's a problem me posting it here let me know.

MAP
    ?

Great thread Robyn. Can't wait to see what you and others post
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That's great, Rene! Yes, you're more than welcome to post it here. Thanks for sharing! I haven't seen that one before. It's awesome that you translated it, too. Much appreciated, love it!

-Robyn

Quote by LoyalHistorian View Post
    That's great, Rene! Yes, you're more than welcome to post it here. Thanks for sharing! I haven't seen that one before. It's awesome that you translated it, too. Much appreciated, love it!

-Robyn
    Thanks Robyn, I see how time consuming this thread will be for you!! Cheers for starting it up.

Hey Robyn,
    I own 6 leaflets - 2 German towards US troops, 2 American for Germans, 1 British towards German troops & 1 American for their OWN troops!!
    I haven't finished the translating work of the German ones ( online translator too ) but when I do I will post them.

Here are the German ones dropped on US troops ........ they're actually sorta funny... a bit "lost in translation"

Propaganda Leaflets Collection Propaganda Leaflets Collection

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast