Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Propaganda Leaflets Collection

Article about: In militaria, I dabble in collecting a little bit of everything, but over the past couple of years, my latest obsession has been Propaganda Leaflets. My interest in leaflets began back in 20

Default 15-j-1

This is another leaflet from the “J” series, produced by the Psychological Warfare Branch (PWB) of the South West Pacific Area (SWPA). I already talked about their history earlier (in post #49). This is “15-J-1” made specifically by MacArthur’s PWB group while they were stationed in Brisbane, Australia. Though I have not found the exact date that this one was made, we do know that MacArthur's PWB was in Brisbane from August 1944 to March 1945, so it would have been during that time. Leaflet 101-J-1 was the last one made while they were in Brisbane in March of 1945, so, with this one being number 15, I'd assume it'd be closer to the late 1944 timeframe. Just my hunch. On its official typed translation, this leaflet is titled as "Good Treatment of Prisoners." Whereas many of the US Army's ETO leaflets have English translation mock-ups that looked just like the foreign language version, the Pacific theater leaflets just have plain typed translations on manila paper (most of the time with official letterhead at the top that also mentions their APO number). Nothing fancy or made to look like the real one. At least, I can't think of any off the top of my head that has an English language version made. I just find that interesting.

Anyway, I was again fortunate to find the official translation for this leaflet in Pacific University Oregon’s permanent collection from the scrapbook that belonged to Colonel Karl F. Baldwin, US Army, who was part of PWB Southwest Pacific. I took that translation and made a photoshopped version in English for you.

Front

Back

Translated Front

Translated Back

I really appreciate the great reception to the thread from y'all. I'm having a blast doing it. I've wanted to do something like this for myself for a while, to make accurate translations and such. It's even more fun getting to see the leaflets y'all have too. I'm currently trying to figure out the few Burmese language leaflets I have. It's been difficult. Don't suppose any of y'all know Burmese, do you?

-Robyn

MAP
    ?

This is a great set. Interesting to imaging what a Japanese soldier would think when seeing one of these. Given that, as we have been taught, they equate surrender with dishonor.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    This is a great set. Interesting to imaging what a Japanese soldier would think when seeing one of these. Given that, as we have been taught, they equate surrender with dishonor.
    Still, the chance to learn the noble art of macrame and basket-weaving would make any proud Japanese soldier lay down their weapons!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by MAP View Post
    Yes, the PsyOps guys tried to be careful not to mention "surrender" in the leaflets if they could help it. Especially in the Safe Conduct passes. It was more about convincing them to "live for the future of your country" and "Heaven has given you a gift by sparing your life". Even saying "I cease resistance" instead of "I surrender" in the phrasing. It's interesting to read about the evolution of those Safe Conduct passes, and how they were carefully tweaked each time the PsyOps people got more intel on what POWs said were working and not working. Evidently, anything that talked about food or showed food was tempting and tortuous to them, even if they weren't going to surrender.

Though I have to agree with Danmark - I'm pretty artsy myself. The enticement of good crafting materials might be enough to tempt me.

Quote by LoyalHistorian View Post
    Though I have to agree with Danmark - I'm pretty artsy myself. The enticement of good crafting materials might be enough to tempt me.
    Sorry Robyn, I was being a tad sarcastic ..... that's just our odd Aussie humour at work ....

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Found in Alsace.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

In French...

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Sorry Robyn, I was being a tad sarcastic ..... that's just our odd Aussie humour at work ....

Cheers, Dan
    That's okay, no need to apologize! I realized the sarcasm. I thought it was very funny! I was trying to be sarcastic back, but I guess it didn't come through that way on text. I should have included an emoji.

-Robyn

Michel (Lebus12) - Thanks again for the additions! Like I said, you've got a nice collection of leaflets yourself. Do you find them locally?

-Robyn

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast