Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Propaganda Leaflets Collection

Article about: In militaria, I dabble in collecting a little bit of everything, but over the past couple of years, my latest obsession has been Propaganda Leaflets. My interest in leaflets began back in 20

Yes Robyn, many from farms in France, others from fairs in Germany.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Yes Robyn, many from farms in France, others from fairs in Germany.
    That's awesome, Michel! You've got some real treasures there. I've only found a few of mine locally. I usually have to seek them out on the internet. Again, thanks for adding them on the thread! I love seeing them.

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

One from Vichy'state afterthe D day, against the liberation money....In French!

Michel, that is a neat one, the Vichy France leaflet. I think it's very interesting since they are trying to discourage the use of the Allied liberation money.

Sorry it's been a while since I have been able to add more on here. I haven't given up on the thread. Far from it. But, it's been a very busy month at school (I teach, if I haven't mentioned that). I do have one that I got translated that I'm about to post! I have a feeling my leaflets and translations will only be trickling on here until the summer when I can devote more of my time to it.

-Robyn

Thanks for you continued effort Robyn! ... I have posted all I have but always interesting to see the many types that still survive!!
    Regards from a wet and soggy Sydney!
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Default Cbm 51

Leaflet "CBM 51" was made by the Allies for the people of Burma. It was produced by the US Office of War Information (OWI) in 1945. The “CB” in the code stands for “Civilians Burma” and the “M” indicates that it was meant to be for “Morale.” Based on the production date of other leaflets in this series, I assume this one to be made between April and May 1945. The front mentions atrocities that the Japanese have committed against the Burmese people. The back is sarcastic and makes fun of the Japanese soldiers.

I was having real trouble trying to figure out the Burmese keyboards online and matching the characters correctly. I instead turned to Reddit’s r/translator! for help. I got two replies fairly quickly. I will definitely be using that sub-Reddit in the future for help translating the other Burmese and Thai leaflets I have!

Below, the first two are the scans of the actual CBM 51 leaflet. The last two are Photoshopped images of the leaflet where I replaced the original Burmese text with the English translated text for you.

CBM 51 Front

CBM 51 Back

Photoshopped Translation of Front

Photoshopped Translation of Back

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Thanks for you continued effort Robyn! ... I have posted all I have but always interesting to see the many types that still survive!!
    Regards from a wet and soggy Sydney!
    Dan
    Thanks for adding all of yours, Dan! I really do appreciate it. I love seeing them! I have many, many more to add over time. This is something I've been wanting to do for myself for a while now. Putting it on here just makes it even more fun. Plus, I know how hard it can be to find information on an object and translations. I'm hoping I can help others if they're trying to research these leaflets, and share what I've found. It is an added bonus when others can tell me information that I didn't know!

Sorry it's so soggy in Sydney right now. Here in Texas we're finally having some pretty Spring weather. It won't last long though - it goes straight to "too hot" too quickly.

-Robyn

One Russian :

Bought in Germany.

Default Cbm-58

Leaflet "C.B.M.-58" was made by the Allies for the people of Burma. It was produced by the US Office of War Information (OWI) in 1945. The “CB” in the code stands for “Civilians Burma” and the “M” indicates that it was meant to be for “Morale.” Based on the production date of other leaflets in this series, I assume this one to be made at the end of May 1945 or June 1945. Based on a grouping of leaflets that was sold at an auction a couple years ago (that had a copy of this leaflet with it), this was from the IWO Psychological Warfare Team, APO 465. That puts them stationed in Calcutta, India.

I again used Reddit’s r/translator! for help on the Burmese translation. Those volunteers have been great. The volunteer that translated this one for me thought it interesting that the Americans seemed to prefer using မြန်မာ Myanmar instead of ဗမာ Burma when talking about the country. I thought that was odd too, since it wasn't called Myanmar until 1989, so I asked about it. Evidently, both names were used by the natives to refer to their country but Burma was what most of the West knew it as, but here the Americans were using Myanmar. Anyway, just a interesting little thing I thought I'd share.

The scans below are of the actual CBM-58 leaflet. The last two are Photoshopped images of the leaflet where I replaced the original Burmese text with the English translated text for you.

CBM-58 Front

CBM-58 Back

Photoshopped Translation of Front

Photoshopped Translation of Back

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast