MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Two WW2 Era Letters written/typed by Canadian Soldier

Article about: The first letter was written on December 22nd 1944. The second letter was written about a year later on December 21st 1945. He speaks of Pattons death amongst other things. Unfortunately I d

Default Two WW2 Era Letters written/typed by Canadian Soldier

These letters were written by a John Joseph Dominic Gentile. The first letter was written on December 22nd 1944. The second letter was written about a year later on December 21st 1945. He speaks of Pattons death amongst other things. Unfortunately I don’t have any information on John. Any information is appreciated.

The first letter reads:

“December 22nd 1944 Friday

Dear Folks.

Haven’t had a letter from you for a few days and was starting to wonder if the Christmas season has kept you too busy to write. I hope you had a very good business season and also a good and happy Christmas. Received a letter from Sam today and it was mailed from the Beaver Club. He was on his way to Glasgow for a sixteen day sick leave. So he should have a very good Christmas as I know the Coogans will certainly make his Christmas a grand one. I tried to get a compassionate leave to get up to see him. But could only squeeze 72 hrs out of them and that was no good for me. However Sam comes back here after his…

Back of letter

leave and I will see him everyday. Yesterday was Mom and Dads Anniversary and I got to mass for the occasion. So did Sam, so if you all went at home, then the whole family was there.

It doesn’t look as if this will be a white Christmas over here. Kind of miss the old snow for Christmas. I hear we are going to have turkey fro Christmas dinner. (Hope so). I guess I better close for now. Lots of love and god bless you all and (?)”
    The 2nd letter reads:

“Jevers Air Station
    21 December 1945
    Germany

Dear Folks.,

I think that I wrote you a letter yesterday but I can’t remember if I did or not, but you are always glad to get letters from over here anyway (well aren’t you).

I suppose Sam is well on his leave by now. I sure wish I was with him. But due to unfortunate circumstances I can not be there.

Today is Friday and it is only four more days till Christmas. So I suppose that this will be one of the most busiest evenings you will have until the summer again. Yes, I can see you all running around the store getting into each others way as usual, especially Rosie. You just can’t keep out of her way no matter where you go (I bet you like that eh Rosie.) I guess Pete will have to stay up late tonight and help pop decorate the Christmas tree and see if they can fix the Christmas tree lights again. Just can’t help it, the lights always have to have a short circuit or a few blown out. Where abouts will you put the Christmas tree this year? Right by the post or over in the corner by the door Don’t know if I would put it in either one of those places, you know where I’d put it, right in between the two windows. Don’t ask me where I would put the chesterfield because that is something I don’t know. Oh I think I know where, you can always throw that big library out of the corner and put the chesterfield kitty corner in there, sounds pretty good eh. (No cracks please.)

I hear we are going to have a pretty swell Christmas dinner over here, they usually have a pretty good one but I will tell you better after I have had it. Too bad snare isn’t over here in this occupation force as we are stationed right with Canadian Air Force, here there are only a few of them however as Canadas Air Occupation Force isn’t very big.

Don’t know whether I will take another leave here until I get back to England ( when I do). The transportation problem over here is pretty grim. I hear that they stopped rationing gas in Canada, well it seems just as soon as they stopped rationing it in Canada they started over here. We get enough gas in our Regiment here to run about 10 vehicles for a month when we have over a hundred that should be going all the time.

Just heard over the radio today as a matter of
    fact just right now that General Patton died today. That sure was too bad. They didnt expect him to die the other day as he was recovering very favourabley.

Do you know when you type a letter you can…

*Back of page*

put twice as much in it (I mean ten times as much in it). From now on I think that I will write most of mine or else double space them. Which would you rather have?

Did you have any company for Christmas or was it a very quiet one? I dont believe Josie could get up but I dont see why Winnie couldn't. Unless it was because of traveling conditions.

Got any Christmas cake left? I haven’t any more as matter of fact I never had any two days after I received your parcel. Better send over those Italian cookies that are made with the broom handle.

I know what they are but I can not spell it and if I tried to you would not be any farther ahead anyway. Oh yes what about the sausage is there any of them left or did pop make any this year? Now I think I could fry some of them up or if I couldnt fry them I could eat them raw.

Well I will close for now and hope that vou are all in the best and not in bed with stomack ackes from the Christmas dinner, so love and luck.

Last edited by Heartfeltzero; 04-22-2023 at 07:59 AM.

I also found that he passed away in 2009.

Hi JB.

Another really interesting letter, thank you for sharing it with us.

Name: John Gentile
    Birth Date: 1925
    Death Date: 21 July 2009
    Cemetery: Saint Michael's Roman Catholic Cemetery New
    Burial or Cremation Place: Orillia, Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Spouse: Dorothy Gentile

John Gentile (1925-2009) - Find a Grave Memorial

The above information is the only thing I could find about John unfortunately.

Kind regards,

Will.

Thanks Will!

I’m still on the search for anything else I can find, which might end up being nothing. That’s how it goes sometimes ha ha.

Good day,

JB

No worries.

It can be frustrating at times. There are a lot of records for people called John Gentile, but they all seem to be American, rather then Canadian. I will have another search and see if anything can be found.

What I can say that is rank is noted as L/DBr which is Lance Bombardier., which would put him in the Artillery.

The rank of lance bombardier originated as acting bombardier, an appointment similar to lance corporal and also indicated by a single chevron. The appointment was renamed lance bombardier in February 1918. It became a full rank, along with lance corporal, in 1961.

Bombardier (rank) - Wikipedia

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Always enjoy reading these little snapshots of normality in an unusual time. Glad to know Christmas tree light issues affected people back then as well......
    Thank you for posting.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Very interesting info! Thanks.

If I remember correctly, I believe the 14th Field Regiment, RCA was the same regiment James Doohan was in (The famous Actor who played Scotty on the original Star Trek Series). May have been the 13th. Still really interested though!

- - ------- - -

No problem!

My pleasure.

That is interesting about James Doohan. I knew he was a Canadian ww2 veteran and I am sure I remember hearing that one or two of his fingers had been shot off during the war.