MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

USMC Numbered photos

Article about: Just received a batch of photos labeled in bottom right corner USMC and they are numbered. Would I be correct in assuming these were taken by the government? For what purpose?

Default USMC Numbered photos

Just received a batch of photos labeled in bottom right corner USMC and they are numbered. Would I be correct in assuming these were taken by
    the government? For what purpose?USMC Numbered photosUSMC Numbered photosUSMC Numbered photos

IMO, they would be taken for propaganda purposes, same as the Germans.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Who did they distribute them to? Soldiers? Civilians? Both? These are in wonderful shape and some of them quite graphic.

Quote by Just Sarah View Post
    Who did they distribute them to? Soldiers? Civilians? Both? These are in wonderful shape and some of them quite graphic.
    Not sure, media?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

I would agree. I would assume they were taken and the acceptable ones were distributed to the new outlets for use.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Each branch of the military had/has photographers.

The US Army for example in World War Two, the US Army Signal Corps took a large portion of the images and they stamped the Signal Corps information on their images. Many were used for press releases and others which contained sensitive information were screened and censored before being released to the public in order to not reveal unit identification etc. You may see WW2 photos with the shoulder patch blacked out or scratched out on the film for security purposes but after the censor screening they were released for public use.

The Army Military Occupational Specialty MOS 84C was a photographer, motion picture. There was a movie called 84C MOPIC (Motion Picture) about a combat cameraman who followed a unit on patrol in Vietnam. There were other movies as well about photographers following military units in combat.

The Department of the Navy and Marine Corps had similar jobs for the Marines and Sailors.

In addition to the Army photographers there were numerous "contract photographers" that accompanied many of the units into war zones along with war correspondents working for LIFE magazine, TIME Magazine and many other popular periodicals. Some of these photographers were contracted to do work for the publications under strict military guidance regarding censorship and making sure that the military screened all images before they went to mass distribution.

Many of these images that were never seen by the public were also used to document the history of the war in the various theaters of operation and after WW2 the US Army wrote the history of the second world war through the Center of Military History. The Army "Green Book" series are a set of over 30 books dedicated to the history of WW2 and many of the images are published in those volumes.

Smitty

I knew a former US Army combat photographer that served in VN. He had lots
    of interesting stories but he was also haunted by some of the images he saw
    and photographed.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 06-10-2023 at 08:20 PM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thank you for the detailed information. I knew about the contract photographers, Robert Capa is my very favorite, have admired his work for years. His book "Slightly Out of Focus" is a favorite of mine. So happy to have found this website.

As a passionate photographer myself, I understand what drew them. I am sorry for the nightmares they carry.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 06-10-2023 at 02:19 PM.