Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Heartbreaking Letter from a Sister to her Brother who was Killed in Action but she didn’t know it yet.

Article about: This letter was written to a Luther H. White from his sister. I posted another letter written to Luther from his mother awhile back. That letter was written about two months before this lett

Default WW2 Era Heartbreaking Letter from a Sister to her Brother who was Killed in Action but she didn’t know it yet.

WW2 Era Heartbreaking Letter from a Sister to her Brother who was Killed in Action but she didn’t know it yet.
    This letter was written to a Luther H. White from his sister. I posted another letter written to Luther from his mother awhile back. That letter was written about two months before this letter. The letter from his mother was written about 11 days after Luther was killed in action but his mother hadn’t yet been informed when she wrote that letter.

This letter was written 2 months later by his sister. By this point, they had been informed that he was missing, but still didn’t know he was dead. Both letters together are truly heartbreaking.

So this letter was written by Gladys White, Luther White’s sister. Luther was a captain serving with the 315th Bomb Wing, 501st Bombing Group. He served as a bombardier on a B-29. Luther had been shot down by anti aircraft fire over Japan on May 9th 1945 while on a mission over Osaka, Japan. His aircraft would initially be classified as missing in action, but would later be confirmed as being shot down with the loss of all but one (who would later be executed by the Japanese).

At the time of writing this letter, his family had received a telegram that he was missing, so they were still holding out hope. Though they didn’t know it yet, Luther had been dead for about 2 months.

The letter reads:

“ Louisville, KY
    July 2- 1945

Dear Junior:

Mom and I got a message Sunday, June 17th, at 8:15am that you were reported missing in action. I’ll never forget what a feeling that was. We were so very thankful it was that kind of a telegram instead of the other. We have faith that God is with you and that he will take care of you and bring you back to us even though we have received no further message. Our prayers have always been with you and we know God will answer our prayers for your life and safety.

Katie Schial is having mass said for you every week until you are found. Walnut street church had a prayer service for you yesterday. Willie Allen’s church had prayer meeting for you last Wednesday night. All your friends have called and come to see us and they are all praying for your safe return home. Tonight I wrote a letter to the chaplain at your base asking for the names and addresses of the boys on the crew with you.

Mom and I felt like we had to get away for awhile to get ourselves straightened out so we went down to Georgies for a week and got back yesterday morning at 7 o’clock. Georgie and her family all took the news very hard but they too have faith that God has spared your life and will return you to us well very soon. Our trip was a sad one but being with them helped us a great deal and we had a nice visit. Peggy is still doing a lot of flying and she took me out to the field and her instructor took me up. I was a little afraid at first but after we got off the ground I was alright. It wasn’t a thing like I thought it would be - especially the coming down.

Georgie lives outside of town and has chicken, ducks, rabbits and even a riding horse, but i wouldn’t try to ride him. However, I did have my picture made on him with a sombrero on. We went to see the Alamo and went to church at San Hose mission, which was built in 1720. We all said prayers for you there. Outside of sight seeing, we didn’t do anything but eat, rest, and sleep. As it was too hot to move around much, we did a lot of resting.

On the way home we stopped at Memphis and stayed all night with aunt Susie. Katie’s cousin, who is in the Navy, going to school in Memphis, came out to see us and took me to the skyline room at the Peabody Hotel. He is a swell fellow. He was in the Pacific for two years in the Naval air corps. He gave us a lot of encouragement.

Tonight we went over to see mother and Daddy Roach and ate supper with them. They are trying very hard to hold up.

Well, honey, this brings you up to date. I just wanted you to know that we have faith in God and know he is with you now as he has always been, and that you will be returned to us soon.

All my love,
    Sister “

?

Another thought provoking slice of other people's lives in circumstances we can only imagine. It must be a difficult time and situation to write knowing that a loved one is missing. Everyone is in limbo, trying to remain hopeful and getting on with life while in the back of their minds, the grim reality must be gnawing away unbearably.
    Thank you once again for posting.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Yeah it’s terrible just thinking about what they must have felt. And no problem!

I’ve actually teamed up with TJ from TJ3 History on YouTube, he made Luther’s story into a YouTube video. If you’d like to check it out, the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?si=JQuMNxo35m-ViPC4&v=EMezrC3piNA&feature=youtu.be