Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Homefront Letter. Lots of interesting content about collecting.

Article about: This letter is about bit different than the average letters I collect. This one doesn’t have much to do, militarily. But it does have some interesting content nonetheless. It was written b

Default WW2 Era Homefront Letter. Lots of interesting content about collecting.

This letter is about bit different than the average letters I collect. This one doesn’t have much to do, militarily. But it does have some interesting content nonetheless. It was written by an H.M. Lyon. They were a well known collector in the Ravenna, Ohio area. Throughout the letter, you can tell they were passionate about what they loved collecting, and now, 80 years later, their letter is a part of my hobby as a WW2 Era Letter Collector.

There is also an interesting Wartime Anti- Japanese/Hitler artwork on the envelope.

The letter was written in February of 1943. It reads:

“ Ravenna O
    Sat. p.m

Mrs. Gertrude Patterson
    Malaga N.J.

Dear Madam:

Well your button sure caused a lot of oh’s and ah’s. You will find check enclosed and my best friend says he must have one for his wife, so send out another if you have one.

Personally I am not a button collector. I was buying the buttons for my mother, when I showed the fine button to my father, he at once said he would buy it for mother. Still he thinks all collectors are crazy.

My first love is stamps, of which I have a very nice collection of U.S. Have shown in two national shows. Have collected for forty years. Then my second collector love is paper weights, and I have about 125 mostly old and fine Baccarat, clichy etc.

I have written some articles on weights and Ravenna glass for “Hobbies”.

Have quite a bit of old glass used in weights including a so called pound piece of Ruby (the size of a big fat hot dog). It would make about a million buttons or rather the over lay. Think I’ll have to have it used in a weight some time.

You speak of the cover I used from our store. I started to gathering information on our store some time ago. As my father has been in there since about 1881.

Have a picture of each store room they were in (having made two moves) even the 1815 building that remained in use until the 90’s then was torn down. Even the drug sign shows. The present room has been used by the store since 1862. Have pictures of all owners, as the first Mr. Swift did not die until the 80’s.

Have adds covering all owners. From the local papers. We can still fill Rx’s back in the 70s. If your great grandmother had any filled here.

Think the Larson weight is very nice and thanks again.

Can you tell me how many of these buttons will be made? Naturally indefinite mfg. will wreck the value.

Hope you have the one more I want.

Respectfully
    H.M. Lyon”

I found this photo of the shop online
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Era Homefront Letter. Lots of interesting content about collecting.  

I JB.

That was a very interesting read, thanks for sharing this.

Kind regards,

Wil.

Hey Will,

My pleasure.

Good day,
    JB