Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 Era Letter from Air Corps Major responding to concerned wife regarding her husband.

Article about: This letter was typed up by Daniel H. Cromer who was an Air Corps Major with the 88th Bombardment Group. He was writing to a Dorcas Nisbet. She had previously wrote to him asking for informa

My pleasure. Yeah it is sometimes surprising what we can find and I would agree that he would have been classed as missing. Post #6 (first and second image down) talks about the incident and points out that the Americans didn't visit the crash site until 1947, possibly 1949, so I assume the fates of the seven crew who died in the crash were not actually known until then.

Stewart Nisbet had been classified as FOD, finding of death. The evidence compiled within documents such as the Missing Aircraft Report MACR, from witnesses, surviving crew or those who saw the bomber go down would indicate that the likelihood was that he had been killed, although this was only confirmed once his remains had been discovered by Cilhi in 1947/49.

FYI a screengrab from the Connecticut State Honor list.
    WW2 Era Letter from Air Corps Major responding to concerned wife regarding her husband.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2