Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by B-24 Crewman in the Philippines. He mentions his recent missions and going through light flak.

Article about: This letter was written by a Raymond F. Reichert. He was born on March 10th 1924. During the war, he would serve as a Radio Operator/Gunner onboard the B-24 “LUVABLASS” (44-42263) within

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by B-24 Crewman in the Philippines. He mentions his recent missions and going through light flak.

WW2 Era Letter Written by B-24 Crewman in the Philippines. He mentions his recent missions and going through light flak.
    This letter was written by a Raymond F. Reichert. He was born on March 10th 1924. During the war, he would serve as a Radio Operator/Gunner onboard the B-24 “LUVABLASS” (44-42263) within the 529th Bomb Squadron, 380th Bomb Group. The letter reads:

March 19, 1945
    Philippines

Hi “Moose”,

I received your letter of Feb 22nd yesterday and I was sure glad to hear from you. I see in your letter that you have been recommended for radar operator. That’s a pretty good deal if you get into it.

Before I left New Guinea we got two missions in there and they were just “milk runs”. I am now with my permanent outfit here in the Philippines. They started operating from here and we have two more missions to our credit. We were pretty lucky because we had only light flak. We flew over Luzon and also Formosa so far. When you land after a mission they give you a 2oz shot of whiskey and sometimes you really need it after a long flight.

I see your brother is a B-17 pilot now, well I guess he will end up in Europe someplace. You say that Peterman is also a pilot, where is he stationed?

How does Arty and Jack stay out of the army, they must surely have pretty vital jobs to be still civilians, lucky fellows. I hear the Danell Burge was killed in a navy plane, that’s what my sister heard up at home.

Well I will be on the lookout for you if you should happen to come this way. I am doing fine and hope you are also. So long for now and good luck.

Your pal,
    Ray. “

Raymond would survive the war and pass away on March 7th 2017 aged 92. He is buried in the Calverton National Cemetery.

?

Hello, very interesting letter and I liked it very much. He was a lucky guy, 92 years old. Regards, Peeloo

Hello,

Glad you enjoyed it.

Good day,
    JB