WW2 Era Letter Written by Bomber Pilot Shortly before Heading To Europe.
This letter was written by a Lt. Maurice C. Langford. He was born on July 31st 1921 in Goldthwaite, Texas. During the war, he served as a combat pilot within the 647th Bomb Squadron, 410th Bomb Group. He primarily piloted the Douglas A-20 Havoc. The letter was written early on while Maurice was still in the U.S. at Hunter Airfield, Georgia, shortly before he headed overseas. The letter reads:

“ Tuesday Night
May 2, 1944

Dearest Mom,

You are getting on the train about this time of night. How I wish that I were with you. Hope you have a good trip.

It doesn’t seem like you are gone. Tomorrow I will probably realize that you are. One thing, it was nice to call you and hear your voice. Thats something we have to be thankful for.

I enjoyed seeing you so much last night. There were so many things I meant to say to you but somehow I never need to say anything because you know me so well.

The trip back wasn’t so bad, just got a little sleepy. Arrived here about six o’clock this morning. Had to ride in the club car. That seems to be where they put everybody. The seats are comfortable but small. Gee, I’ll never forget my trip up yesterday. Could I be bad luck to cause the flats along the way, ha ha.

This is the first letter I have written in ages so it may be just a little haunchy. One does get out of practice.

Had a letter from Al Calflesh today. He should be here in a day or so. I surely hope I get to see him. Having seen so many of my former friends makes me want to see Al even more because I like him more than anyone. As I have told you, he is on B-26’s as a Bombardier-Navigator. Still don’t have my ship but should have it by tomorrow or the next day. Of course I am tired of waiting so it will be nice to be under way.

Our gunners all left today so all we will have is ourselves and a navigator. Give the folks my love. Don’t worry if you don’t hear from me very often. I’ll try to write as often as I can.

I’m thinking about you all the time so don’t worry.

All my love,
Your son. “

Maurice would leave for Europe thirteen days later on May 15th. He would go on to fly 65 Combat Missions in France and Germany. He would be awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal with 12 oak leaf clusters.

Maurice would survive the war and would pass away on November 2nd 1996 aged 75. Maurice’s mother, Odell, passed away in 1984. They are both buried in the Center City Cemetery in Texas.