Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by Captain while on Peleliu Island

Article about: This letter looks to have been written by George Hoch. He was a captain in the 321st infantry regiment, 81st Infantry Division. He was writing to his friend Lt. Paul Taylor, who was also in

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by Captain while on Peleliu Island

This letter looks to have been written by George Hoch. He was a captain in the 321st infantry regiment, 81st Infantry Division. He was writing to his friend Lt. Paul Taylor, who was also in the 321st Infantry. Paul had been wounded while on the island. The letter reads:

“30 September 1944

Dear Paul,

I’m mighty sorry to hear of you being wounded. I hope and pray that it will heal fully and you will be restored to perfect health.

I doubt if I can get to see you, things being as they are here.

Please keep me informed as to where you are as soon as your are able. Your friendship is one of the most valued I have made in the army. It will not suffer thru neglect of writing on my part.

With very best wishes and prayers for your speedy recovery, I will always remain your sincere friend. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

George.”

The letter was sent through “Inter Island Mail”. I’m unsure if Paul was still on the island or if he had been taken away yet. There were still many Japanese soldiers fighting on the island of Peleliu at the time this letter was written, which is why George states he won’t be able to see him. I’m not sure of what became of Paul or whether he survived his wounds.

Interestingly, the other letter I posted recently was also written by a member of the 81st infantry 321st regiment.