Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by Combat Engineer in France. He writes about seeing a French girl having her hair shaved off for being friendly with the Germans, Retreating Germans, etc.

Article about: This letter was written by a Lt. Henry Milton James. He was born on December 18th 1916 in San Francisco. During the war he served in the 61st Engineer Combat Battalion, 4th Army. The letter

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by Combat Engineer in France. He writes about seeing a French girl having her hair shaved off for being friendly with the Germans, Retreating Germans, etc.

WW2 Era Letter Written by Combat Engineer in France. He writes about seeing a French girl having her hair shaved off for being friendly with the Germans, Retreating Germans, etc.
    This letter was written by a Lt. Henry Milton James. He was born on December 18th 1916 in San Francisco. During the war he served in the 61st Engineer Combat Battalion, 4th Army. The letter reads:

“ Aug. 14th, 1944

Dearest Honeybabe:

I have a few minutes to myself so I am going to write a letter to you.

Things are moving along very nicely now and our drive is really picking up momentum. I am of the opinion that we shall be re-united very shortly. We move quite often now and our mail takes time to catch up to us. I am still waiting for several letters sent in July. Hope to receive them soon.

I am getting to see a lot of France but not the way that I would like to see it. You bet that I have dug a dozen foxholes or more. The other day while we were moving forward again, we passed through a rather large town and the people were having a demonstration that compared to our flag day. They had French and American flags out and were proclaiming us as their liberators for freeing them. Down the street they marched a French girl who had been very friendly with the Germans. She had all of her hair shaved off and swastikas painted all over her head and body. Boy she was a sight. We see all kinds of German material, equipment, and vehicles all along the way, where they left it in their hurried retreat before our rapid advance.

My darling, I wrote to Uncle Phil the other day as you asked me to. Hope that it makes him a little happier. Also hope that mom and dad are ok and that you are in the best of health too. I pray night and day that God keeps you safe and in good health so that I can return and take over in great style. I am writing this under a tree that is about 70 feet tall and the sun is shining brightly. We are taking a short rest now but will probably move on this evening. This is a beautiful part of France and isn’t in ruins or battle torn as much as some of the sections that I was in. The Nazis have been retreating so fast that we do not have to shell the towns so much to drive them out. Looks as if we are going to run them right into the channel. My darling again I re-iterate my love for you and re-affirm my extreme longing for you.

Sweetheart I love you more than ever, and need you. Please take good care of yourself for me. Did you ever receive that letter where I asked you how your cooking was coming on? Hope that is coming along great because I am real, real tired of these canned rations. That is all we get now and it is getting a little tiresome. Besides that, our meals are very irregular. I am not losing any weight but I don’t feel like eating as much as I need to.

Well, darling honey-babe, I must say goodnight for now. I am enclosing all my love and kisses and eternal, undying devotion.

Your guy forever,
    Hank”

Henry would survive the war and would pass away on May 4th 2016 at the age of 99.

Hi JB.

Another fantastic letter. The description of the French girl receiving the 'collaborator treatment' reminds me of the scene from Band of Brothers when they are in Holland.

Henry Milton James in the U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947

Name: Henry Milton James
    Race: White
    Relationship to Draftee Self (Head)
    Birth Date: 18 Dec 1916
    Birth Place: San Francisco, California, USA
    Residence Place San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
    Registration Date: 16 Oct 1940
    Registration Place: San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
    Employer: US Treasury Dept of the Mint
    Height: 6
    Weight: 190
    Complexion: Dark
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Blue
    Next of Kin: Isabel James (Mother)

Interestingly Isabel (his mother) was born in Jamaica and was of Spanish/American heritage.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

I thought the same thing regarding the scene in Band of Brothers. Thank you for all the interesting information. Always appreciated.

Good day,
    JB