Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by “ The Big Red One” Soldier Shortly After V-E Day. He writes about many topics. His Points, German Atrocities, the Japanese, 8th Air Force and more.

Article about: This letter was written by a David P. Schaeffer. He was born on December 23rd 1913 in Pennsylvania. He would enlist into the Armed Forces in February of 1942 and would go on to serve in the

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by “ The Big Red One” Soldier Shortly After V-E Day. He writes about many topics. His Points, German Atrocities, the Japanese, 8th Air Force and more.

WW2 Era Letter Written by “ The Big Red One” Soldier Shortly After V-E Day. He writes about many topics. His Points, German Atrocities, the Japanese, 8th Air Force and more.
    This letter was written by a David P. Schaeffer. He was born on December 23rd 1913 in Pennsylvania. He would enlist into the Armed Forces in February of 1942 and would go on to serve in the 1st Infantry Division. He would serve with the division throughout the campaign in Italy and would eventually end up in Germany.

“ 12 May 1945
    Letter # 753

My Dear Mother,

As I was about to write this letter, your letter # 286 was put on my desk-the one about the first announcement of the surrender of Germany. I see you know all about the truth by this time.

Since the main point of interest here is the army demobilization system and the number of points needed- I’ll go into that subject for the main part of this epistle. For the past four years I have inwardly been quite pessimistic about getting out of the army after V-E Day. Now- I can flatly state I believe I will be out of the army this year. That makes me very happy and I hope you feel the same way. Now- remember anything can happen but I really feel “this is it”. The army specifies 85 points as a initial score for discharge- and here for your information is my official score.

* Service in the army - 39mo x1 = 39
    * Foreign Service - 33mo x1 = 33
    * Battle participation stars- 6 x5 = 30
    * Bronze star medal- 5 = 5.
    * Total/ 107

There is almost certain to be another battle Star before the final total- and it will then be 112. So there, my dear, you see how I stand in reference to the 85 stipulated. There are quite few boys that have more than I, because they have seen service since Sept 1940, and that means the highest men can have 17 points more than me. You see this is a regular army division and naturally have plenty of old-timers. I have every confidence of getting out- so wish me luck.

You were well advised in withdrawing the nice things you said about the “poor Germans”. Yes, after hearing of the many atrocities they have committed, I can only say they are getting far better than they deserve. How happy they are to surrender to the Americans, but not to the Russians- for there it might mean death- the same death that they, under Hitler, spread all over the world. Feel sorry for them! They are entirely too lucky- far more than they deserve.

It has been wonderful around here- the sun shining brightly for many days. Warm and really beautiful. If only we could get out and walk around a bit, but no, we are still confined to this immediate area.

By some miracle the food situation has improved a bit today. The meals have been terrible for a few days, but today we had something decent to eat. Hope it will continue for awhile.

The lights have finally gone on- here on this continent. For nearly three years we have been living in a “blackout”. All windows darkened and sealed every evening when we turned the lights on. To you folks in the states maybe such a thing doesn’t mean so much. But to us-well it was a great event to allow light to shine from the windows after dark. I hope we never see any such thing as a blackout again- I just don’t like them.

The news on the Japanese front improves every day and with the news of the 8th Air Force going there. Well! The Japs will see something they never believed possible. The 8th is the largest and most powerful in the world and I know the Japs will be very unhappy. Surrender is too good for them. I am sure you will find Russia and more joining the U.S. and Britain in finishing off the Japs. It is only a prediction of things to come.

That must be all for tonight, and I am so darn happy when I say “I’ll be seeing you”- I hope it is soon.

Goodnight and May God bless you.

All my love,
    David “

David would survive the rest of the war and return home. He would pass away on October 30th 2002 aged 88.

I just read the transcript of the letter. It is truly a very interesting document, as it mixes a lot of information, with the soldier's personal opinions about the reality that he sees and with his affection for his mother and the desire to return home.
    Thanks for sharing

Regards
    Santi

I thought so as well. And no problem.

Good day,
    JB

Another very interesting gem you have discovered once more JB. Thank you for sharing it.