Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by “The Big Red One” Soldier. He mentions having a Girlfriend in Belgium.

Article about: This letter was written by a David P. Schaeffer. He was born on December 23rd 1913 in Pennsylvania. He would enlist into the Armed Forces in February of 1942 and would go on to serve in the

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by “The Big Red One” Soldier. He mentions having a Girlfriend in Belgium.

WW2 Era Letter Written by “The Big Red One” Soldier. He mentions having a Girlfriend in Belgium.
    This letter was written by a David P. Schaeffer. He was born on December 23rd 1913 in Pennsylvania. He would enlist into the Armed Forces in February of 1942 and would go on to serve in the 1st Infantry Division. He would serve with the division throughout the campaign in Italy. Soon after, some of the division would take part in the invasion of Normandy. David would eventually find himself in Belgium, where his division would take part in the Battle of the Bulge. The letter reads:

“ 26 December 44
    Letter # 597

My dear Mother,

So another Christmas has come and gone- and truly, it was the best I have had overseas. After my letter to you- a peach of a turkey dinner with all the trimmings, right down to both pie and cake. No fooling - I had so much turkey (all white meat too) that I could hardly stay awake in the afternoon.

In the evening we had a USO show and very good- much the same as the other ones we had, but this one was quite informal. I saw Marie after the show, but only for a short while, as it was a bit late. A wonderful Christmas - and I feel swell about it.

I’ve always hoped that some day I would receive a package on Christmas Day- at last it came true. My birthday present (dated Sept 26) arrived Christmas Day. A wonderful package, and in perfect condition, and I sure needed everything.

I was on my last drop of “after shaving lotion”, and you can well imagine how welcome it was. The shaving cream has already been put to use- and everything use- swell, it helped make it a real Christmas for an old soldier on this side of the Atlantic. Thank you so very much.

Also had a package from miss Leonard today. It was exactly like the one I received from the bank- a box of candy- home made candy. I sure thought it swell of her and a letter in the next day or two will show my appreciation. I don’t believe I have ever eaten so much candy in my life as I have this Christmas. How I recall the day I never touched a bit of candy, the army has done that to me anyway. For better or for worse.

Now that the holidays are over, it is time to get back to work, and today was a darn busy one. The a.m. was slow, but after dinner things really picked up and there was plenty to do. By some miracle I managed to balance without any trouble. Now that pay-day is not very far away, you can imagine we will have a few busy days.

This was the fourth beautiful day we have had, and the skies were full of our planes- what a sight they are. Thank goodness we have the greatest Air Force in the world- with us both day and night. What a beautiful job they are doing!

I’m sort of wondering what we’ll be doing New Year’s Eve. I think I’ll ask Marie for a date, so with that it will mean, dancing, a couple drinks and a darn good time. I never thought years ago I would ever be dating a girl in Belgium, but these are unusual times, and just between you and me- I sort of like them. Only wish she could speak English. Usually when I go out with a girl I can let my mind “at ease”, but now, what is left of a mind must be “on the ball” to speak in a language that is not too easy. You see, in Belgium they speak Flemish, which is as about as close to French as possible, but for a guy who finds French rather different, you can imagine the troubles in Belgium. But it’s fun- no kidding, i really mean it.

Again- a thousand thanks for the package- and I hope you had a very happy Christmas. Next one will be ours for sure.

Goodnight, good luck and May God Bless you. All my love,

David. “

David would survive the rest of the war and return home. He would pass away on October 30th 2002 aged 88.

Wonder what ever happened to Marie..

Great letter, tells the personal side of what GIs were going through and thinking about...

Smitty