Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by Serviceman in the Philippines. He writes about some deep topics, Societal Issues, Education, and much more.

Article about: This letter was written by an Edward Marshall. I haven’t even able to nail down information about him yet. I do know that he served with the 672nd Amphibian Tractor Battalion. The letter r

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by Serviceman in the Philippines. He writes about some deep topics, Societal Issues, Education, and much more.

WW2 Era Letter Written by Serviceman in the Philippines. He writes about some deep topics, Societal Issues, Education, and much more.
    This letter was written by an Edward Marshall. I haven’t even able to nail down information about him yet. I do know that he served with the 672nd Amphibian Tractor Battalion. The letter reads:

“ June 22, 1945,
    Luzon PI

My dear Aunt Ruth,

After ten days with no news from home, your very interesting letter was received with expectant, and greasy hands. I was in the process of greasing my Amph Trac, but when the mail arrived, all work immediately stopped.

Six of us (two crews) have been detached from our outfit and attached to an infantry battalion, which is fighting in the hills. We, with our amphibian tractors, feel like the proverbial fish. Anyway, we are learning more about the country, the army, and life with the passage of each day.

The wishes and prayers you put forth in your letter were undoubtedly the nicest birthday presents I ever received. I want to thank you again and again for your kind offerings.

Even tho I have been taken away from the city, my education continues. I have been very fortunate in receiving from the armed forces services, a number of good books. Last week I read “The history of Abraham Lincoln” by Lord Charnwood and at present I am wadding through Henry Adam’s “The Education of Henry Adams”. The latter is a very deep and interesting book but so far I am quite disgusted with the author’s selfish aims in life. He seems to look at his wonderful experiences and collection of knowledge as a play thing and as if the most important object of life was to keep oneself amused. That education was his form of amusement appears to be merely coincidental.

To me, education is a gift made possible only thru the untiring efforts of men thru the ages searching for the truth. In accepting this gift from mankind, you also accept responsibility to use it for the good of all and not for the purpose of amusing oneself. In spite of my juvenile opinions, I am intensely interested in the book and I feel that I have learned a lot about English diplomacy during the years of our civil war. I have another book by Roderick Peattie called “Geography in Human Destiny” which I am looking forward to reading. As long as the army continues to keep me supplied with good books, I am sure that I can be temporarily contented.

Two months ago I wrote my father asking for as many facts about Grandfather Marshall as he could send me. He wrote me a very interesting letter on the subject. He claimed that he knew very little about Grandfather’s Unitarian activities so I wondered if you happened to have anything to say concerning the topic. I am eager to learn why Grandfather joined this church. I have always been interested in this church whose foundation stance seems to be religious tolerance.

Looking at the chaos of today’s world, one cannot help but admire the codes of tolerance the fathers of our nation built into its constitution. Yet to my horror, I find the young men of my nation polluted with many intolerant ideals they term American. To me it appears that anti-semitic, anti-Catholic, anti-negro, and anti-foreigner ideals are gaining a foothold in a country which was founded on tolerant principles. My convictions are that when American tolerance disappears, so will the magnificence of America melt away. I sincerely hope that this day will never come.

I was glad to hear that William has finally recovered but sorry to learn that he didn’t think that he would be able to return home. I feel that if he is ordered to the pacific theater, he will probably receive a delay en route. Anyway, I hope that this will come to pass. I know that you will enjoy having Frank and Amen with you. I received a letter from Dick some time ago and I answered it so I hope that he has heard from me by now.

I certainly do appreciate the pictures of your fine horses. I have always been interested in horses and I have regretted that I knew so little about them. I have noticed that in all the pictures Asad seems to be posing. My friend from Texas is always impressed by Asad too. He always wants to see the pictures of “those beautiful horses“.

I guess that’s I had better close for now because it is time for me to go down to the creek and wash up. Give my regards to uncle Ralph and the family. Thank you again for your wonderful letter.

Your loving Nephew,
    Edward. “

Another very interesting letter. I wonder what Edward would have made of his nation in the 21st century. Sadly some of his observations are quite prophetic.

Hi JB.

Really interesting read, thanks for sharing this.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

My pleasure.

Good day,

JB