MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by Soldier in the Pacific (Fought in the Battle of Angaur and the Battle of Peleliu)

Article about: This letter was written by Oswald C. Addington. He was born on October 27th 1919 in Kentucky. During the war he served in the 321st Regimental Combat Team within the 81st “Wildcat” Infan

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by Soldier in the Pacific (Fought in the Battle of Angaur and the Battle of Peleliu)

WW2 Era Letter Written by Soldier in the Pacific (Fought in the Battle of Angaur and the Battle of Peleliu)
    This letter was written by Oswald C. Addington. He was born on October 27th 1919 in Kentucky. During the war he served in the 321st Regimental Combat Team within the 81st “Wildcat” Infantry Division. In September 1944 the 321st and 322nd Infantry Regiment of the 81st Infantry Division performed a combat landing on Angaur Island as part of the operations to secure the Palau Islands chain. After finishing the battle of Angaur, the 81st Infantry Division was ordered to assist the 1st Marine Division in their efforts to seize Peleliu. The 81st Infantry Division eventually relieved the 1st Marine Division, and assumed command of combat operations on Peleliu. The 81st Infantry Division remained engaged in the Battle of Peleliu until the end of organized Japanese resistance on 18 January 1945. In early February 1945, the 81st Infantry Division sailed to New Caledonia to rest and refit. In May 1945, the 81st Infantry Division was deployed to the Philippines to take part in mopping up operations on Leyte Island, and to prepare for the planned invasion of Japan.

The letter was written while his division was at New Caledonia during their rest and refit. It reads:

“Saturday Evening
    April 7th 1945
    In my tent

Dearest Beloveds

Here’s a few lines this Saturday, afternoon, to my darling wife and son. I’m making it just fine and dandy and hope you two are the same. I’ve been fairly busy all week doing a little bit of everything and nothing in particular. I don’t know what’s wrong that I haven’t caught a detail of some kind this evening. All the other Saturdays I have stayed around the company instead of going to the ball game give caught some detail. I decided I’d give it another try today but if I’d caught something it would have been my last time to be around here on Saturday evening. Might as well be with the rest at the game as to not get to do as you want to if…

“Next page”

you stick around here, don’t you think? So far I’ve written mother and just fooled around. Got my picture taken a couple times just in my shorts. They may not be so hot for I need a shave. If they turn out OK I’ll try and get a negative of them to send to you. Didn’t have time to clean up then for he was in a hurry. I was sitting here in my shorts writing to mom when he came around just taking this and that. I asked him if he would take one of me for my wife and he said OK. So I went out and got my beauty snapped. Ha ha.

I’ve just now came back from taking a shower. They are only on at certain hours and only on so long as the water last so it’s either get one early or not at all. I stopped and got mine early, now I’ll finish this and shave for today and tomorrow.

*Next page*

I’m aiming to go down tomorrow to try and see Martin of the 323rd once more. I’m going to phone up his company first tho and find out if he’s around. Ha ha, don’t want any more dry runs. Ha ha. It’s not that I mind the going but just hate to get disappointed.

Received your V-mail letter yesterday that was written on the 24th. If you hadn’t mentioned mothers birthday I wouldn’t have thought about it. I know it’s in march, but never thought about it. I didn’t know what day it was tho. Guess I’m not very good at remembering dates. I even forgot to mention yours until it had passed. Remember ha ha. I know you do. Days just pass here and you don’t realize the date of the month until you start to date a letter. I most usually have to ask someone or look at the calendar every…

*next page*

time I sit down to write a letter. So Rollie is enjoying the states and most of all have for awhile now. I know he’s mighty glad to be home and see everyone. Sometimes it’s hard for me to actually realize I have a son. But I trust you and the folks to be telling me the truth. Ha ha. Guess things do seem a bit different to Rollie, after being away almost four years. Don’t you worry sweet about what he told you about getting souvenirs. I know what he means for I’ve seen it happen also but what I got or will get will be free from any danger. I don’t care that much about them so naturally I won’t stick my neck out. Did Rollie, have much to say about where he had been and what he had done. The time he spent over here. How many battles has he been in. I could probably tell if I knew the division he is in but I’ve forgotten…

*Next page*

what division he is in. I know you told me once but I’ve just forgotten.

Yes honey I believe we have a new smart boy and I’m sure he can just about lift the roof off the house now that he’s found out he has strong lungs ha ha. A big fellow like him isn’t supposed to like Huggies. He wants to see what’s going on and really have himself a time. Sure would love to teach him a few tricks myself sweet but I suppose he’s learning plenty of them from all his teachers isn’t he? How soon will he be sitting alone? Shouldn’t be so very much longer now until he will be sitting up in bed or crawling off of it. The show tonight was, “three is a family “ and what a mix up that was. Ha ha. A lot of it was about babies and just a general mix up. It was real good, mostly a comie picture. I got a lot of…

*Next page*

laughs out of it. I guess some of it was just about like things around there. All the folks trying to do something for Phillip, at once. I know I’d love to be in amongst it all. There isn’t anything I wouldn’t try to get or do for you and Phillip, sweet.

The reason I’m finishing this tonight is that chow time called around too quick and after that I went to the show. What have you and Phil been doing tonight, just playing and having a big time I’ll bet. In a way I was there with you for I was thinking about you all during the show. Now it’s time for all of us to be in bed but from the night owl you say Phil is I doubt you get to go to bed now. I believe I’ll retire tho for tonight darlings and dream a big sweet dream all about my two very precious darlings. Good night darlings and best of dreams. “Sweet dreams”. Loads of hugs and kisses all which are special.

Love always,

Connie”

Oswald would survive the rest of the war and would pass away on October 8th 1989 at the age of 69.

Thank you for posting another fascinating window into the younger Conway Addington. Sad that his family didn't want to hang onto the letter, but at least it is now in the hands of someone who can appreciate it.

No problem! And it does surprise me how many letters are thrown out only to be sold online, but as you said, at least those of us who respect the history can preserve them and share with others.

Quote by Heartfeltzero View Post
    No problem! And it does surprise me how many letters are thrown out only to be sold online, but as you said, at least those of us who respect the history can preserve them and share with others.
    History is made by individuals such as Conway, students might study the history from a distance, through books or by believing the skewed world of cinema or even some documentaries, but just as important as small gems such as these letters that can place individuals at pivitol moments in history. They deserve to be remembered. Glad we can read about them and honour them here.

Hi JB.

I can only echo what BC has said, thank you for posting another great letter.

I couldn't find a photo of him, but here is his draft card.

Oswald Conway Addington in the U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947.

Name: Oswald Conway Addington
    Race: White
    Relationship to Draftee: Self (Head)
    Birth Date: 27 Oct 1919
    Birth Place: Centertown, Kentucky
    Residence Place: Centertown, Ohio, Kentucky, USA
    Registration Date: 1 Jul 1941
    Registration Place: Kentucky, USA
    Employer: Self
    Height: 5 10
    Weight: 140
    Complexion: Ruddy
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Gray
    Next of Kin: Ora Addington (mother)

Kind regards,

Will.

Agree 100 percent

Hey Will,

No problem! Always happy to share. And thank you for the information. Always appreciated.

Good day,

JB