WW2 Era Letter Written by U.S. Marine Shortly After The Battle of Iwo Jima. “Nothing can stop the Marines”.
This letter was written by a Walter Edward Hill. He was born on February 10th 1924 in Nevada. He would enlist into the Marines Corps on June 7th 1944 and go on to serve with the 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division. Walter would enlist and be shipped overseas just in time to participate in the battle of Iwo Jima. Walters battalion would land in the first wave on Iwo Jima on February 19th Blue 1 and would go on to play a crucial role in the seizure of Hill 382 (Turkey Knob) that Marines on Iwo Jima called “the meat grinder”.

The letter was written about 2 months later after the Battle of Iwo Jima while Walter’s regiment were recuperating on Maui from the battle. It reads:

“ Central Pacific
April 23, 1945

Dear Mrs. Grant,

Sorry I haven’t written sooner but as you see we’ve been quite busy and we had a rugged chore to do.

I received your Xmas card and it seems a little late to thank you but at the time we were busy making preparations and traveling, I hardly had a chance to write.

My mom sends me all of the church news and I enjoy reading them. The first letter I received on Iwo was from mom with the paper in it and even in the fox holes we get our mail and talk over the things that happen in our home towns. You see genuine patriotism and it makes a lump in your throat when you think of the sacrifices and the spirit of the men. Nothing can stop the Marines.

Eleanore tells me she’s very pleased with her work at Sherman’s and they both love it at my mothers. I just received a lovely picture of them and Dougie seems so much older and bigger.

I hear from Pat and Mike often and it will be great to get back sitting in the pack telling tall yarns.

I hope all is well back in Fitz and the best of luck.

Sincerely,
Walter. “

Walter would stay on Maui until the end of the war. He would return home to his family and would pass away on May 13th 1985 aged 61. He is buried in the Pine Grove Cemetery in Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire.
WW2 Era Letter Written by U.S. Marine Shortly After The Battle of Iwo Jima. “Nothing can stop the Marines”.
Walter’s regiment landing on Iwo Jima ^