Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by U.S. Marine who fought during the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Article about: This letter was written by Harold S. Carlton. He served in the 13th Marine Regiment within the 5th Marine Division. He participated in the Battle of Iwo Jima. The 13th was an Artillery Regim

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by U.S. Marine who fought during the Battle of Iwo Jima.

This letter was written by Harold S. Carlton. He served in the 13th Marine Regiment within the 5th Marine Division. He participated in the Battle of Iwo Jima. The 13th was an Artillery Regiment. The regiment was responsible for delivering a significant portion of the artillery firepower that was used to suppress Japanese defenses on the island. They supported the infantry's advance by providing indirect fire, and they were also responsible for providing close fire support to troops in the field. The letter was written on June 20th 1945, a few months after the battle ended.

“Wednesday- 9:30 PM
    June 20th, 1945

Dear Darwin:

Yep me at last and at this late hour I’ll have to wip off a fasty. We have a nice little four o’clock reveille tomorrow morning for a fall day in the field and I want to hit the sack by the time lights are supposed to be out. Well Darwin by the time you get this you’ll be a year older and I want to take this means of wishing you the best of everything on your birthday. I hope next year at this time the three of us lugs can get together and celebrate as the occasion calls for. Better still let’s make it my birthday in January. Yes. No telling where I’ll be in January. I do hope you have many more birthdays you can chalk up on that old stump of yours.

I want to thank you too Dar, for the letters you’ve been writing especially when I haven’t been much of a letter answerer. My days are full and nights pass to quick, that’s all and of course I always try to write Mom and Betty as often as I can. Ah priority you know- I’ve received several letters from Doris too and it’s so…

*Next page*

good to hear from her. I only wish I could write you and all as many times as I think of you. I’m afraid I’d be writing all the time. Thank Doris for me and give her my love and best wishes. Doggone, why in hell can’t I get home to see you all anyway. I’d like so darn much to hold Dawn and hear her say “Uncle Harold”. I know one thing, it will take a heck of a long time to drag me out of Penna. when I once get back. Just think it has been over a year and about a half year tacked on for good measure since I saw you last. It’s no wonder why a guy gets to thinking and dreaming once in awhile over here.

Dar, you asked about some souvenirs. I’m sending a box home one of these days and you can have what you want. They don’t mean a damn thing to me.

I’m feeling fine and have a good tour. I get to go swimming at least once a week at the beach.

I’ll write again as soon as possible. Taps have sounded and I’m tired as we had a long field problem today too. That old f-sack will feel good. Excuse scribbling and buddy I hope you have a swell birthday. Just thinking of it brings back happy memories of the others we used to share. Be good and have fun.

As ever, Hal

(Harold Carlton)”

Harold would survive the rest of the war but would continue being in the Marines as a Reservist. He would return to active duty during the Korean War. He would survive that war as well and go on to live a long life. Harold would pass away on January 24th 2007 in Pennsylvania at the age of 83.
    Last edited by Heartfeltzero; 04-06-2023 at 07:51 AM.

Hi JB.

Another great letter, thank you for sharing it with us.

The bit that got me was -

Dar, you asked about some souvenirs. I’m sending a box home one of these days and you can have what you want. They don’t mean a damn thing to me.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

And no problem!

And yeah I found that interesting as well. It leaves me wondering what kind of souvenirs were in the box. Unfortunately we’ll never know.

Good day,
    JB

Yeah I would love to know too. It is uprising thought and reminded me of this quote - Ernie Pyle, the famous WW2 war correspondent, wrote that the British fight for their homes, the Germans fight for glory and the Americans fight for souvenirs.