Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by a U.S. Serviceman in The Philippines. He writes about the Atrocities by the Japanese on the Locals,Includes Japanese Invasion Note taken off a Japanese Soldier

Article about: This letter was written by a Philip Short. He was born on March 4th 1913 in Massachusetts. During the war, he would serve with 989th Signal Service Co. The letter reads: “ February 7th 194

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by a U.S. Serviceman in The Philippines. He writes about the Atrocities by the Japanese on the Locals,Includes Japanese Invasion Note taken off a Japanese Soldier

WW2 Era Letter Written by a U.S. Serviceman in The Philippines. He writes about the Atrocities by the Japanese on the Locals,Includes Japanese Invasion Note taken off a Japanese Soldier
    This letter was written by a Philip Short. He was born on March 4th 1913 in Massachusetts. During the war, he would serve with 989th Signal Service Co. The letter reads:

“ February 7th 1945
    Philippine Islands

Dear Miss Countryman -

I just received the liberty overseas edition of the Boston Herald which you so thoughtfully sent to me. Please accept my thanks for your consideration. I really appreciate it.

A fellow gets a little lonesome for home and the states quite often, and a newspaper, with its familiar ads and favorite comics and columns helps a great deal to bring back memories of his home town. Since you took the trouble to send me that copy, you must realize all this, perhaps through your own experience or through that of a friend or relative in the service.

I’m writing this letter from one of the seven thousand beautiful Philippine Islands. I could trim that down a bit by saying “one of the longer islands”. This place is really a paradise with its tall coconut palms and its white sandy beach and little picturesque thatched huts set up on bamboo stilts. True, there are still signs everywhere of the ravaging and destruction by the recent invader, the yellow rats, but slowly, the signs are disappearing. However, the wanton cruelty and atrocities, the rape and plunder and the torture inflicted upon these quite, hardworking people, had left a deep scar on their hearts which will never heal.

When we came to the Philippines, we fed them. they were starved by the Japs. The G.I.’s gave them clothes. The Japs had burned their clothes and left them with nothing more than loin cloths. Yes, the G.I.’s are not only freeing the Filipinos, but they are feeding, clothing and employing them, thus restoring their self respect.

I am enclosing a little souvenir (“donated” by a Jap).

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
    Pvt. Phil Short “

Philip would survive the war and return home. He would pass away on May 38th 2003 aged 90. He is buried in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park in California. Interestingly, the souvenirs he mentioned in the letter were still in the envelope and are pictured in the photo above. Included was a 1 peso note issued by the Japanese Government during their occupation of the Philippines (Philip took this off a Japanese Soldier), an allied military issued 1 Lire note (would have been issued after the U.S. invasion of Italy, and an early 1 Lire Note.

?

So it appears Miss Countryman was unknown to Philip, was there some organisation in the U.S. whereby folk could write to servicemen from their locality abroad?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

That’s actually a great question. My guess would be yes. But I can’t say for sure.