Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by U.S. Soldier of the 6th Infantry Division while Fighting the Japanese in the Mountains of the Philippines.

Article about: This letter was written by a PFC Marion Naes. He entered the Army in 1941, prior to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. He served with the 20th Infantry Regiment, within the 6th Infantry Di

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by U.S. Soldier of the 6th Infantry Division while Fighting the Japanese in the Mountains of the Philippines.

WW2 Era Letter Written by U.S. Soldier of the 6th Infantry Division while Fighting the Japanese in the Mountains of the Philippines.
    This letter was written by a PFC Marion Naes. He entered the Army in 1941, prior to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. He served with the 20th Infantry Regiment, within the 6th Infantry Division.

Naes arrived in New Guinea with his Division in February 1944. After several months of patrolling and gaining experience in jungle warfare, his regiment went into action against tough and experienced Japanese Soldiers at Lone Tree Hill, Maffin Bay, New Guinea.

PFC Naes and his division then landed at Cape Sansapor in late July 1944, and entered a period of intense patrolling to wipe out remaining Japanese resistance. The division remained on New Guinea until late 1944, patrolling and preparing for the invasion of Luzon in the Philippines. Pfc. Naes landed with his division at Lingayen Gulf, Philippine Islands, on the 9th of January, 1945. He remained in action until April 1945, at which time, following his promotion to sergeant, he was removed from combat and given an assignment in the rear area.

When Naes wrote this letter, he was on the front lines, during the Battle of Wawa Dam, in the Sierra Madre Mountain range east of Manila, while fighting against the Japanese Shimbu Group. The letter reads:

“ Philippine Islands
    Easter Sunday
    April 1st 1945

My darling wife-

Here it is Easter Sunday, and I’m still up here in the mountains. Been on the go ever since we landed here. My Easter clothes are a set of dirty fatigues, and a pair of big G.I. shoes, the Dough Boys Easter outfit, nice isn’t it?

I can’t even go to communion and mass today. This is the way it has to be I suppose. I hope there isn’t many more Easter’s that we are at war.

I have three letters from you to answer Honey, they are dated March 17th, 18th, 19th, had them for several days, but was unable to answer. I have two letters from Erna, three from mom, one from Ray Rakers, and one from Paul N. , all these are unanswered. Ray Rakers is fine, write a nice letter, or probably had someone to do it for him, and he sent me those pictures I told you that we had taken when we had the steak fry and ice cold beer in Sansapor. These pictures were taken with Ray Salds camera and film, the camera is a good one, but the film, was stuck to the paper. That’s what caused the black spots and other blemishes. Remember Jon Smiths tavern near rays home, we went there together a few times, well that’s where Ray R. said he would meet me the next time, in good ole St. Lewis

Honey I don’t want you to have so many sleepless nights because of worry or any other reason. I’m sure our prayers are being heard and so far it’s Gods will that I’m still alive and unharmed, also in good health. You mentioned head-aches from this heat, I had a couple of them from the heat over here. But I’m O.K. now, so please don’t worry too much about me. I see you know exactly where I am, and also the date when I came here, by the papers, mom knows too and I’m glad for this. I want you to know where I am Honey.

I’m thankful too that it’s Gods will that I’m still O.K., instead of having a lot of money, I’d rather be alive and O.K., than have all the money in the world. I still love you and Ken with all my heart and I’m always thinking of you both. I’m so happy to know that your love is so strong for me, mine is just as strong tho!

I knew you lived near Lemay, because of being so far south in St. L, I’m glad you have some nice neighbors too, that makes it all the better. I hope you were able to go to mass and communion today Easter, if I were home we would go together, that would be wonderful. Erna told me about Alfred being home and visiting you and Ken before he went back, that’s fine. Paul N. said he was still O.K. and around here someplace but I suppose we’ll not be able to meet until we get back.

I’m going to close for now Honey, and again remind you that I love you with all my heart. I’ll write as often as possible, I’m sure you’ll do the same.

Always,
    Your loving husband.”

His rotation point total on VE Day was 89, and he was rotated home to the United States for discharge from the army in August 1945. Although he served in a great deal of combat, Naes was never even slightly wounded. He was awarded the Bronze Star medal.

Interestingly, he included a 6th infantry Division patch of his in the envelope. One he likely wore in combat.

He would pass away on May 24th 1997 at the age of 77.

Jan
    ?

Very nice, thanks a lot for sharing this with us

Best,

Jan

Hi JB.

Another fantastic letter, thank you for sharing it with us.

I think this sentence is great - 'I’m thankful too that it’s Gods will that I’m still O.K., instead of having a lot of money, I’d rather be alive and O.K., than have all the money in the world'.

Here is Marions draft card -

Name: Marion August Naes
    Race: White
    Relationship to Draftee: Self (Head)
    Birth Date: 12 Sep 1919
    Birth Place: Kimmswick, Missouri, USA
    Residence Place: Kimmswick, Jefferson, Missouri, USA
    Registration Date: 16 Oct 1940
    Registration Place: Kimmswick, Jefferson, Missouri, USA
    Employer: Stupp Bros Bridge and Iron Co
    Height: 5 9
    Weight: 135
    Complexion: Light
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Blue
    Next of Kin: William Naes (Father)

Here are a couple of photos of Marion I found on Ancestry (He is the taller man in the first photo)

Kind regards,

Will.

Indeed another great letter from a fortunate veteran who got home without any physical injuries. May he rest in peace.

No problem! Always happy to share!

Good day,
    JB

Hey Will,

No problem and Thank you for the additional information and photos. It’s really awesome to be able to put a face to the name. I appreciate it.

Good day,
    JB