Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era POW Postcard Written by Captured Polish Officer a few months after the German Invasion of Poland.

Article about: The postcard was written on November 12th 1939. It was sent from Oflag VII-A Murnau, which at the time this postcard was written, was a POW Camp for Polish officers that were captured during

Default WW2 Era POW Postcard Written by Captured Polish Officer a few months after the German Invasion of Poland.

WW2 Era POW Postcard Written by Captured Polish Officer a few months after the German Invasion of Poland.
    The postcard was written on November 12th 1939. It was sent from Oflag VII-A Murnau, which at the time this postcard was written, was a POW Camp for Polish officers that were captured during the German Invasion of Poland.
    A rough translation of the postcard reads:

Oleńko my darling! [12 November 1939]
    I was filled with joy and encouragement when on 9 November I received your first card [dated] 31 October, that you are all well. The first from [or perhaps "in"] R. but such a meagre message - I now await [further] letters and parcels.
    I am immeasurably happy that you are there, but what about the house? Find out and write Oleńka, if you will be able to travel to Krakow for [your] things, because that would be simplest. Is it possible to send money [from, perhaps within] the country? Did you receive the pay[?] sent from Tarnów on 4[?] September, [if not] I would send you the recipe [instructions] for [how to lodge] a complaint. How is Papa? Wąsowicz, Wisłocki, Szep[??]towski, Wolf are asking of news of their [relatives]. [?]obocki asks [you] to ask at the Zofia Grabek B.G.K.* house at Sienna[?] [street] [39?] what of his wife?
    Is there a doorman [where you live]? Are you all well behaved and staying at home? Conserve everything! Kisses and hugs to all of you.
    Józef

The camp would be liberated by troops of the U.S. 12th Armored Division on April 29th 1945.

A long time to be in captivity. Makes me wonder if he ever got home.

I actually discovered some pretty interesting info. Apparently he wasn’t just a Polish officer. He was a major of the Polish Army. and his son was a resistance fighter in the Warsaw uprising. Powstańcze Biogramy - Janusz Polz