WW2 Letter Written by 101st Airborne Member Part 2.
This is another letter written by Vincent G. DeMartino who was a member of the 327th Glider infantry regiment within the 101st Airborne Division. I recently posted one of his letters that was typed by him in 1942 before the 101st shipped to England. This letter was written on March 29th 1945, Not too long before writing this he had been at Bastogne when he and the rest of the 101st were surrounded. He was wounded while there as well as getting trench foot. He would be sent home soon after and would end up in Camp Butner, NC to heal from his wounds, this letter was written while there.

The letter reads:

“Thursday, March 29th 1945

Dear Mother and Father:
I am fine and well and everything is going fine. The weather is warm and with plenty of sunshine.

I’ve been having a fair time lately, They
had a dance here Monday night and last
night. Tuesday night I saw a movie. Yesterday, Wednesday, I talked with some friends of mine most of the day. Today was Holy Thursday, and I spent some time pressing my clothes tonght. I happened to get an iron, so I put it to good use. I stopped at the P.X. awhile this(next page)

Evening. One good thing about this place is that we get plenty of fresh milk. This is one thing that I got very little of in my 18 Months overseas. The only time we got fresh milk there was a couple of times in France and Holland. I haven’t received any mail from you since I’ve been here, but I suppose it will come along. I’ve heard from you very little in the past three months, because I’ve been moving from place to place. I have really been traveling, by truck, by train, by plane, and by boat, covering thousands of miles. Well folks, i guess that’s about all for this letter, also expecting to get a furlough soon, I will now close and P.S. it’s 10 o’clock and time for bed. I very cheerfully and affectionately remain, your son.

Pvt. Vincent G. DeMartino”
Photos of Vincent^