Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 “spoken letter” record

Article about: This is an unusual item, a “spoken letter” recorded on to vinyl. It dates to 1941 and is from an RAF Wing Commander in Canada and has been sent to the UK so I assume he was there trainin

Default WW2 “spoken letter” record

This is an unusual item, a “spoken letter” recorded on to vinyl. It dates to 1941 and is from an RAF Wing Commander in Canada and has been sent to the UK so I assume he was there training. Unfortunately it is not in the best of condition so I have not tried playing it. Does anyone know the best way to clean vinyl? It’s got dirt, grime and a bit of mildew on it, however, it is flat and not warped.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 “spoken letter” record   WW2 “spoken letter” record  

WW2 “spoken letter” record   WW2 “spoken letter” record  

Well I managed to carefully clean it up a little bit with just water and paper towel and surprising it works - just! One side is quite badly scratched and jumps too much to hear anything of note, however, the first side is just about discernible although there is a lot of “static”. It starts off with him introducing himself and what I think is his service number, he then gives the date and says “hello darling”. He proceeds to go on that he is not happy with the camp conditions and had been to see the FMO and that he wanted to leave. I’ve not exactly worked out what his main complaint is and I might try and clean it a little further to see if I can get it to play any clearer. I must say that it was quite exciting to hear someone’s voice from 80 years ago (it was recorded in December 1941)

I’ve tried to research Wing Cdr O M FRASER via Google but haven’t had much luck so far

Very cool!

I actually have a few of these, but don’t have a record player and don’t know much about this stuff. Do you have any recommendations for a basic, budget record player that would work? I’ve heard these old records like this often have really low speeds that a lot of players can’t play. I’m not sure how to tell what speed they are though.

?

Warm, soapy water is the surprisingly simple way to clean a record!
    The gentle application of a paper towel is wise.

It must have been quite a moment to hear his voice - a voice from another era - echoing across time. A pity it’s not clearer, but a remarkable little time capsule, nonetheless.

Most of these spoken word records play at 16 revolutions per second. Nowadays, with the advent of digital recording applications it's possible to play them carefully on a deck at an even slower speed then increase the speed using the app and clean up the audio file.

I managed to play it on my daughters cheap record player. It was bought new and only a couple of years old, but it’s nothing fancy.

Hi there.

I found a little bit of information about Wing Commander O.M.Fraser, via a Bonhams auction.

Four to Wing Commander O.M.Fraser, Royal Air Force,
    General Service Medal 1918-62, one bar, Northern Kurdistan (F/O. O.M.Fraser. R.A.F.); Defence Medal; War Medal; Coronation 1953. Mounted as worn. Very fine. (4)

Footnotes
    Wing Commander Ogilvie Murray Fraser was born on 23.5.1904. M.B. and Ch.B. from Aberdeen. He was attached to the Medical Branch of the Royal Air Force throughout his service. Flying Officer 30.6.1931; Flight Lieutenant 30.6.1933; Squadron Leader 30.9.1940; Temp Wing Commander 1.12.1941; Substantive Wing Commander 1.12.1943.

He was attached to 25 Squadron at Hawkinge in 1931, then to RAF Pathology Laboratory, Halton. In March 1932 he served at the RAF General Hospital Hinaidi Iraq, then by March 1934 was with the RAF Depot. He transferred to the RAF Hospital in Crnawell in July 1935, then to the Central Medical Establishment RAF in January 1937. In April 1938 he was with No1 RAF Depot Uxbridge, whilst attending the course at the Royal Institute of Public Health and Hygiene, London. He returned to Cranwell in February 1939. In February 1944 he served with HQ No16 (Recce) Group, Coastal Command, Gillingham. Then HQ No 27 (Training) Group, Calne July 1956. He retired on the 23rd May 1959.

Sold with an extract of the report on Operations against Shaikh Ahmed of Barzan 1931-1932.

Bonhams : Four to Wing Commander O.M.Fraser, Royal Air Force,

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 “spoken letter” record