Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 Silk Escape Map

Article about: alan the a &e map youn have posted there is clasic scale and detail for an E&E map inof detail and a large inof area to enable you to move for 100s of miles i believe the one you hav

ILH
    ?

Default Re: WW2 Silk Escape Map

Hi OS,
    Nice map, but, sorry, they weren't designed as shawls or to be noisless-just usefull coincidence-
    to expand on an earlier post, and what Alan said;

This process of printing on silk was first used for equipment (new rifles etc.) instructions in the 2nd Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902- the idea bieng they didn't fall apart when wet and lasted alot longer than paper anyway.

At the beginning of ww2 the process was revived to make maps as part of the Escape and Evasion Equipment for Aircrew because it was realized that these maps could be sewn, hidden, into the lining of uniforms, roped through the inside of the trouser waistband etc., and thereby get past the german searches along with their button compass.

jim.

Hi Jim,

Is it possible that 'noiseless' referred to maps meant the fact that once hidden in a uniform, German searches would not detect a silk map. Unlike a paper one!

I also suscribe to the theory of 'noiseless' could also including its use 'on the run.'

I will have to enquire further!

Alan

Are these actually escape maps? Although there were escape maps, I thought that theseones were just maps printed on silk, not necessarily for escape?

ian
    ?

usualy in my experience of maps isseude to me they were sterile
    the only info on the edge of the map was the mag/grid box ie magnetic variation to grid on the map and date
    no other info
    i believe that the war time maps were sterile olso
    i think that may be a good indication of an original
    i cant be sure becouse my experiance is of post war silk maps
    yours looks good in relation to those i have seen and worked with
    cheers ian

ILH
    ?

Hi Allan,

Absolutley to both.
    Although it wasn't part of the origional Boer war design, I'm sure it was noticed by the people who put the E&E kits together.
    Mind you, because of it's coverage and lack of fine detail I'd imagine it was only refered to ocassionaly....and... if the enemy are close enough to hear the map they are close enough to spot you wrestling with a big whitish flappy thing!
    jim.

ian
    ?

the so called silence bit is an old wifes tale
    the maps are printed on silk at least inj my day becouse it made them easier to conceale where ever you chose to hide them
    noise was the last thing that anyone worried about
    believe me the enemy knows where to look for these things
    you have to be very inventive to hide them
    oh and up the bum is the first place they look

ILH
    ?

Quote by leigh kitchen View Post
    Are these actually escape maps? Although there were escape maps, I thought that theseones were just maps printed on silk, not necessarily for escape?
    hi,
    Definately escape maps, area covered is too large and therefore there isn't enough fine detail to use them for anything else, even period airmaps don't cover as much area.
    jim.

ian
    ?

the man who realy put all this together was eary neave (speling again)
    incharge of mi9
    before the ira killed him he used to come and give us lectures on escape &evasion
    he was a very very clever and thoughtfull man
    he had respect of all of us he had a presance when he entered a room

i would like to apologise to ILH for any misunderstanding here i no way ment to be derogertaory to him and i am sorry if my coments sounded like that
    cheers ian
    Last edited by ian; 02-22-2010 at 10:26 PM.

ian
    ?

hi jim you dont need detail for escape and evastion you nead an overall picture of where you may be and where you want to go
    so scale to an extent is erelevent you njust nead a deal of acuracy

ian
    ?

most escape maps from the gulf war sowere small and laking detail but they showed how to get to syria or jordan or soudi
    the detail of the maps was questionable but they gave you anidea of what it was about
    i still have my a&e map from the gulf il look it out and post it for you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast