Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

1917 Ross Rifle Bayonet

Article about: Hi all, I thought I'd share this salty condition Ross Rifle bayonet/trench knife conversion. I picked this up locally as the price reflected that it's missing it scabbard and the condition a

Default 1917 Ross Rifle Bayonet

Hi all,

I thought I'd share this salty condition Ross Rifle bayonet/trench knife conversion. I picked this up locally as the price reflected that it's missing it scabbard and the condition and my understanding that these are getting scarcer. It is still marked as MKII Ross Rifle Bayonet and dated 2/17 for February 1917 with the Canadian inspection mark.

At some point in it's history, like many of these once the Ross Rifle ceased to be issued to front line troops, it appears to have been converted into a trench knife via removal of the bayonet catch. It has also lost a grip screw along the past 106 years. As previously stated it is in a very salty condition with pitting all over and divots in the wood grips, some of which look like intentionally done lines by the guard in the last photo

The bayonet once I'd bought it and got it in my car had a highly noticable heavy metallic smell which has since worn off a little.

I hope you all enjoy,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1917 Ross Rifle Bayonet   1917 Ross Rifle Bayonet  

1917 Ross Rifle Bayonet   1917 Ross Rifle Bayonet  

1917 Ross Rifle Bayonet  

?

These are hard to find in Australia as well as the UK I imagine. I got mine from eBay US and they used to pop up in decent condition fairly regularly. Lots of different variations with US and Canadian markings and two different blade profiles. If you want one in decent condition I'd be looking at Canadian and US sellers.