Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1944 British army pocket knife

Article about: A recent purchase I got locally. Pretty happy with this as the blade besides some metal tarnish/pitting shows that at least it wasn’t heavily used after the war like some of these knives.

?

I will need to hunt it down but I do have a modernish British army one somewhere that my dad friend gave me. My dad is currently at barry Buddon so I have no clue where his own example will be

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I will need to hunt it down but I do have a modernish British army one somewhere that my dad friend gave me. My dad is currently at barry Buddon so I have no clue where his own example will be
    Haha, Barry Budden, I hope he's having a nice time!!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I think he is! Sunburnt of course. Got to see the results of the rifle weapons handling test he marked others for. He failed two people. Aside from that they also done some night trip flares. Didn’t do normal hand held illumination flares for dry grass fire reasons. Have you been to Barry budden in your time?

I think he is! Sunburnt of course. Got to see the results of the rifle weapons handling test he marked others for. He failed two people. Aside from that they also done some night trip flares. Didn’t do normal hand held illumination flares for dry grass fire reasons. Have you been to Barry budden in your time?
    Yes mate but before you were born! I doubt it has improved much

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Here is my collection of pocket knives. The middle row and the first left on the bottom row are all ww2, A bit more variety than you first realise. The first 2 in the middle row are Stainless steel Staybrite dated 1940 and are a bit harder to find. These have all come from car boot sales over the last ten years.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944 British army pocket knife  

?

Thanks for adding your photos of your collection! I wouldn’t mind finding more at a car boot sale myself

?

1944 British army pocket knife1944 British army pocket knife1944 British army pocket knife

Here’s the other blade the guy was selling which I picked up today. It’s a Royal Navy one with a marlin spike. It was made by VENTURE HM SLATER SHEFFIELD

I think due to the steel lanyard loop it is post war and ww2 ones had copper lanyard rings up to a certain point. I have read these were issues til 1986! I have included a size comparison next to the ww2 army one

Also with a name inscribed to P.D FAICH ( I think)

I have a 1941-dated knife with a steel lanyard loop, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that it's a wartime example. Obviously without a date there's no way to know for sure.

B.B.

?

I should of said for the navy ones sorry. I read that was the case as my thread starter one of course has a steel lanyard loop

The tales from the supply depot one and a few other dealers is where I saw that info regarding the navy ones with copper lanyard loop in regards to war time date

Royal Navy Jack Knife – Tales from the Supply Depot

Also with a name inscribed to P.D FAICH ( I think)
    It does look like P.D. but given it is done by hand it's worth noting the P.O. is the abbreviation for Petty Officer.

Regards

Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast